How to set up a dev environment?

For a long time there was an assumption that the earth was flat … never ask permission from others to start a project… just do it

1 Like

I will still don’t desist to ask for a wiki :grinning:

1 Like

you’re right…

the wiki is necessary, is something noted since the birth of this community…

BUT: don’t expect others to feed it, so be ready to work for /in it…

And don’t pull out… You are in the community :grinning:

Please, I don’t want another toxic thread here, just a discussion.

Forgive me @ctek I’m against it :smile:

There are NO winners and NO losers.

We are here for asking questions and debating, and I always - always must say thank you for your time and effort.
If we want to make something, just start to do it. I’m with you, how can I help?
Information and howtos are not enough?
Can we try to gather as information as possible and start writing down howtos, TOGHETER? :smile:

Remind for everyone “Stonewalling communication” doesn’t help anyone. Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree and improve always the conversation.

2 Likes

I use a virtual machine on my notebook, I have installed nethserver on it and then followed the developer manual:

http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/building_rpms.html

I think we need some sections for a good developer HOWTO:

• pre-requisites
  • modifying a package
  • fixing bugs
  • create a new package
  • create a new UI panel

Pre-requisites

• a working nethserver installation
  • a github account

First step - add developer environment

• create a user from server-manager (i.e. filippo)
  • yum install nethserver-mock
  • grant developer permissions to filippo
  • usermod -a -G mock filippo

From here we could/should explain how to fork on github, clone a repo, make a pull request. But I think we can link an already written guide we could find on the web.

Maybe we could record a video tutorial and upload it to youtube.

6 Likes

I’m already busy here giving support to users… and quite busy elsewhere in bugfixing/verification, support and many, many other things :wink:

Hi guys

don’t let @zamboni wins! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks to all for your point of view @giacomo @Ctek @zamboni @stephdl and @filippo_carletti

I started programming when I was 12 year old till when I was 34 then I quit programming to do full time system administration (some times during life we must take some bad decision).
So I well understand @giacomo @stephdl as well as @jim and @ctek so I think we can do something togheter.

What do you think about a (yes an other one) NethServer for dummies programming guide?
Maybe we can pick a better title…
We can use howto also but IMHO they are better to explain how to set the environment but we need a guide to explain some programming concepts.

Honestly I would be happy to start back programming I would like to do my own “hello world!” program inside NethServer GUI :smile:
I think we can start following Filippo’s list exploding/developing every single point.

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Trying to setup Virtualbox for NethServer VM

@Ctek you’re the king’s of howto :slight_smile: could you share any startup suggestions for learning devs?

Just for the record
@Ctek @filippo_carletti @stephdl are working on this:
http://www.nethserver.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto

3 Likes

Fabulous How to :grinning:

I hope to see a long serie of such howtos.

Hi guys

following this
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto

I’m proud to announce that I have created my github account, fork my first package and set up my local developing environment, I can say that practically
I have done nothing :smile:

First of all thank to @Ctek @filippo_carletti @stephdl for the howto, I made some corrections to wrong names or to improve legibility.

Now a question: which is the next suggested step?

Stephan in some post wrote that before start writing code he spent one year to read code of others before wite a fix, I’m agree with him but I would like to know a little more.
I think that this can help to expand the howto or (better) making a second chapter.

4 Likes

:+1: keep it up mate!

I have a kernel panic Issue at Home :smile: I will try to do something ASAP

7 Likes

Congratulations Stephan!!!
Welcome to the club!
Her name?

1 Like

Hi @sitz, The second chapter was discussed and it will be made. For now the First “Intro” has to be finished completly and then we think about the second :smile:

By the way, all the hard work has been done by this two guys @filippo_carletti and @stephdl !! they have made this How-to possible :smiley: !

BR
Bogdan

1 Like

I have two children, Maxime 10 years old and Natacha born on the 31/10

1 Like

Ooops…
Just though she was born today and she was the first.

Debian !!!
@alefattorini, this gui absolutly need a sweat NethServer :grin:
And a cap :laughing:

No it’s not a kernel panic… Just a new patch on your familly.

Felicitation!

Ps: and make a few how to for her :wink: