Forward Lookup Zones A record entries: where are stored?

Hi everybody,

I’ve successfully add several Host (A) on my Forward lookup zone in the DC created with Nethserver using Microsoft DNS Manager.

I would like to know if there is a way to do so without this software, there is any file I can edit directly into the Nethserver?

Thanks for reading

AFAIK Microsoft RSAT. This should write A records into DNS of NSDC container.

Do you know the path for this ?

AFAIK you can recall and install them via Powershell.
Or from the Windows Features section into Win 10

Thanks for reply @pike , I’m sorry, badly expressed myself , I’m trying again:

Where I can find, on Nethserver, the file that keep all the entries for the A records I’ve listed using the Microsoft DNS Manager? there is a way then to modify these entries directly on Nethserver and see changes on Microsoft DNS Manager?

Thanks

@trogloraspa

Bonjiorno Stefano

The AD specific DNS records are not stored in a file, they are stored in LDAP (AD is a “propreity” LDAP).
On NethServer, they can be created or modified by using PHPLDAPAdmin, from Stephdl, see here:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=phpldapadmin

To modify, or create you need to use “kamikaze” mode…

My 2 cents
Andy

Thanks @Andy_Wismer

Kamikaze mode is not in my confort zone… in my mind I was thinking to another sort of Hosts file.

Nevermind

@trogloraspa

Hi Stefano

I use PHPLDAPadmin - in kamikaze mode - once in a while. An AD doesn’t need that much “administration”, once it’s set up. Basically remove a host, add a host. Same for users. Groups are less needed later on, unless someone creates a new division in the company.

But it is easier to handle than MS-RSAT when it comes to removing a host from AD…

“Kamikaze” is just to indicate that you should know what you’re doing - at least with AD!
MS-RSAT doesn’t give off a warning, but does the same things (and more!).

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

And anyway, be on the safe side: do changes only after a backup, if it’s the first time.

2 Likes