Fixed IP with VPS and Wireguard or OpenVPN

Upstream proxy is just for http/https and there is no hosted Nethserver just a simple LXC container.

Squid can run in a LXC…

That are all totally different problems which I don’t seek solutions for. I dont’ want ot install ANYTHING on the VPS but only a VPN server. I have a server up, resp. bough a VPN solution with fixed IP from some provider. My ONLY questions are how to connect to it from Nethserver.

I can’t really help here, as I use OPNsense firewalls, and they do have the needed options…
It even has GUI Options for Wireguard…

A LXC would mean you’ld need to replicate a lot of routing, this depends on what you’re using there for mail, etc…

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Andy

I even don’t have a LXC, but only a provider with OpenVPN giving me a fixed IP. I cannot install anything on their server, because I don’t have access to it. I just have OpenVPN connection details and want Nethserver to connect via OpenVPN to this service and treat it as a red interface.

Are you/can you also installing Nethserver on the VPS; IE 1 Nethserver install for the VPS and 1 Nethserver install at say your home/office?

EDIT - just read your above comment. If you can have the VPS also as an accessible Nethserver install like Digital Ocean I can show you how to relay/route the email flow between the two via an OpenVPN tunnel & Nethserver settings.

Please stop making suggestions what to install on a VPS. I don’t want to install another Nethserver or something else on the VPS but I have a self- or prebuilt VPN-provider (OVPN) which gives me a fixed ip via OpenVPN or Wireguard. I only want to use this fixed IP.

@carsten

Maybe correct the title of this post and replace VPS with VPN-Provider…

The title containing VPS is misleading.

My 2 cents
Andy

VPS would also be an option as long it remains at the IP level, i.e. no Nethserver, no mail server or any complex software on it.

Will do. With such a welcoming attitude I say good luck friend.

1 Like

There is no reason to be unfriedly. I appreciate your tries to help, but unfortunately the whole discussion went into a total different direction than the problem I wanted to solve and I was just trying to get focus to the original question again.

All I am saying is this is beyond the scope of what we can offer easily for you and that you might want to consider purchasing professional support from those who create Nethserver.

Affordable pricing with:

4. Crostino Subscribers are able to open a ticket to support@nethserver.com paying 100 € each

Hi Andy,

Very interesting! I’d like to realize this scenario with a hosted Nethserver in a VPS with static IP using a second Nethserver as local mail server in a Proxmox LXC container. And there is a OPNsense Firewall VM in between. I saw that you use the same framework. So, could you please give me some more hints on how to configure OPNVPN Site2Site VPN in OPNsense? This would be the client, right?
Thanks in advance!

Ralph

Why having a complete Nethserver install at the VPS? A simple Linux with an OpenVPN-Server would suffice. The only thing which is needed to tell the local Nethserver that its OpenVPN-interface is a red interface and the main internet connection.

I got a very cheap VPS with 120 GB disk space and 8 MB RAM. That’s why I want to use it for some other cloud services as well ad not just for email routing.
How did you configure the site2site VPN server on the VPS? Nethserver offers 2 modes - subnet and P2P. Which is the right one? And is a shared key provided by the VPN server the correct way to do it?

For just having an external fixed IP, a 512 MB VPS for 1€ per Month should suffice and it much easier in management.

I do pay 1 € per month with the said features.
If you could answer one or the other of my questions that would be great.

It was my initial question how to setup an openvpn interface as the main red internet interface. With that, you just by a fcheap 1€ VPS with fixed adresse, setup a vpnserver on it with forwading all traffic to the openvpn client and have a fixed IP address in netserver.

Very similar to using PPPOE which is already supported. What is need to also be able to specify openvpn as a red interface.

You have 8GB instead of 8MB, havent’t you? Could you please also tell me which VPS provider gives you 8GB for 1€/month?

8 GB of course, sorry. The provider’s name is 1blu.

I have the dummy “green” interface now and an OpenVPN server is installed in Nethserver. What do you mean by “specify openvpn as a red interface”?
Things would be much easier if Nethserver would support wireguard.