Expanding ad schema for user templates

just wondering how id go about additional attributes to the user template ad schema such as
first and last name, phone number, address etc

@Shane_Treweek

Hi

Just install on any member-workstation (AD!) Microsoft’s RSAT (From Software Optional in Win10…).
You’ll need at least the User / Group part, maybe DNS too…
To administrate, you can use any AD user with admin permissions (mostly admin…).

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

ok thats easier than i expected thanks

1 Like

@Shane_Treweek

To add in user photos easily to AD - and to NextCloud too! (Freeware)

Managing Profiles on Windows (Creating a default profile): (Freeware)
https://www.forensit.com/downloads.html

TSplus: Make your Win10 PC a multi-user Terminal Server. I run this on Proxmox,virtualized for Clients with Home Office! For users, this looks and feels like a known Win10 PC, something you can’t say when using MS Windows Server & Terminal Server CALs (And way more expensive). And comes with VERY cool features. (Here I’m thinking of your daughters “learning” PC…).

https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/features.php

My 2 cents
Andy

3 Likes

Do you know if there is a Linux TSPlus client?

Very helpfull links! Thanks a lot!

@ssabbath

Hi

TSPlus is pure compatible Microsoft RDP, Linux can handle that eg with rdesktop. But there are comfortable GUI alternatives for Linux:

For Linux I use Remmina, also for my clients.
They work either with a Raspberry PI, or a Linux Desktop / Notebook running Linux Mint.
Both use Remmina.

My 2 cents
Andy

PS: RDP with Dual Screens does not work well with ANY open source RDP, seems like no developer ever cared, the rdesktop “could” handle it, but no, hasn’t been coded yet…
There are commercial solutions, even for RPI4 with correct, MS-like Dual screen handling for Linux RDP.

I personally never liked dual screens, for the simple, stupid reason that the yes / no dialog box always pops up in the middlle… So I never use it…

2 Likes

Here is dual screen for RPI (commercial, but cheap).

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Nice!

Do you know if you face printing problems using linux? I mean printing from Remmina to a local printer?

If you have a rare, non linux supporting printer, you may have issues. Else it just works… :slight_smile:
Windows will need the driver, though…

2 Likes

You mean the TS-Plus windows host right? I will have to install linux drivers into the A.d. right?

@ssabbath

Hi

I don’t quite understand this…

AD is generally a server based product from Microsoft.

Even Linux clients, when joining the AD (No matter if running on Windows or Linux) NEVER need any Linux drivers installed in the AD.

And TSPlus is a Windows Product, intended for Installation on a Windows Workstation - so no Linux drivers needed for this! The Windows Workstation is usually Windows 10, in rarer cases, due to EOL, Windows 7 - this makes sense for companies who archived a complete system and use a Terminal Server to retrieve / access data. By Law in Switzerland, a company has to keep data 10 years available…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Yes, sorry! It makes no sense what i just wrote :frowning: haha

Well, i just tried somethings out with TS-plus and it works! :slight_smile:

I think this TS-plus is under a Windows Server product inside Azure Cloud. Its a really wierd setup they have.

In Brazil we have somthing similiar, but for 5 years.

Anyway, it works, this company has over 40 windows computers… lol! Microsoft will have to make it better to take linux off them now!

Actually, I have TSPlus installed on several local Win10 VMs (At clients site). There is NO need for anything in the cloud!

What you’re looking at is probably their “demo” system…

And it works VERY stable and fast!

-> You can easily make 40 PCs RDP capable as a VM - with 2 Windows 10 VMs, each running 20 users (Or one running 40 users!).

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Still about TS-Plus, i cant understand it as a viable (money wise $$) solution if all the client network is Microsoft. Maybe it is cheaper than a RDP-Cal?!

I understand the benefits of running Ts-plus in Linux clients where the ERP just works under Microsoft.

They even need to have a static IP in their subsidiary branches to allow access to TS-PLUS where a VPN might do the job and cut off some static IP costs.

Anyway i am just trying to figure some decisions my client made. btw their ERP sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Including the costs of a server license, and the needed CALs, TSPlus is MUCH cheaper than Microsoft’s solution!

Even if the client network is all Windows PCs, you can’t take them home (Home Office).
It even makes sense to reduce Windows PCs to a simple Linux Desktop with RDP - saves a lot of maintenence costs handling 1-2 RDP Server PCs, than handling 40 PCs. Much faster disaster recovery - besides a lot of other advantages!

I use VPNs for branches, so the entire connection is protected in this case. A road warrior is a different story, but that affects also only a single user!

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

@ssabbath

Actually, besides the savings on maintenence, the biggest advantage I see and experience:

A Windows 10 Desktop feels like a Windows 10 Desktop - for any user.

A Server Desktop does NOT feel like a Windows Desktop for the user - special caveats with Browser handling, etc…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

@ssabbath

Another BIG advantage of using TSPlus in the scenario above, with only Linux Desktops using RDP Clients to display Windows:

TSPlus has eg the option, to use a “local” Browser link, instead of opening the browser link on the RDP machine. I use this option, to keep the RDP Server “clean” and more or less risk free, as Browser (And Mail) are often the key entrance paths for Crypto- / Ransomelockers…

So if any user (Using RDP to TSPlus) clicks on a link pointing to a browser, it’s opened on the Linux underneath - NOT on the RDP environment.

As Linux Desktops are much more resilant in not running encryptor .EXEs, they are “safer”!

My 2 cents
Andy

I agree, will have this talk with them, a switch to Windows 10 is better for sure!

Yup, my main selling point of linux is the Ransomelockers :smiley: or a good and paid anti-virus…

BTW, out of curiosity, what ERP are they using?

A LOT of ERP products really SUX… Too slow and overbloated (SAP, Odoo, Flectra to mention a few…)…

1 Like

@ssabbath

Does Symantec (Now Norton LifeLock) owned Anti-Virus count as a good, paid for Virus?
I thought these were just to slow down a PC… :slight_smile:

I never liked their idea of them sticking the name Norton on any product, even if Peter Norton never used it!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like