Entering nethserver-makerpms

nethbot

(Davide Principi) #1

I’m working on a new RPM builder based on Linux containers. It aims to be an alternative to mock builds (make-rpms command & co, provided by our nethserver-mock official package).

Furthermore, as it can run in a Docker container it could be useful to run automated builds, on Travis-CI for instance: I know @edoardo_spadoni is working on it :wink:

The buildah flavor runs only on Fedora 26. The Docker version works also on NethServer 7. Please give it a try, I would be happy to share impressions suggestions and merge PR, too! /cc @dev_team

(Alessio Fattorini) #2

I’d like to know what @stephdl @dnutan @areguera and others think about that. Is @davidep’s post clear enough? Do you need more info?

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #3

just for the sake of developers, why the use of a container environment would be better than mock ?

(Davide Principi) #4

When the YUM cache is filled, it builds an RPM in a fraction of the time at least on my workstation :blush:

(Marc) #5

Installed docker but cannot install the fedora package on Nethserver 7 due to buildah dependency.
Installed the thingy on Fedora but don’t know how to build an image (no experience with containers).

A real-world step by step example would help.

(Markus Neuberger) #6

On NethServer I tried:

yum install git
git clone https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-makerpms.git
cd nethserver-makerpms
yum install docker
systemctl start docker
docker build -t nethserver/makerpms buildimage
docker run --name builder --privileged=true -v $PWD:/srv/makerpms/src:ro  nethserver/makerpms
docker cp -a builder:/srv/makerpms/rpmbuild/SRPMS .
docker cp -a builder:/srv/makerpms/rpmbuild/RPMS .

I assume the fresh built RPM should be in working dir, but nothing there. I also tried on Fedora with buildah without success.

(Davide Principi) #7

Thank you checking it out! @edoardo_spadoni and I are configuring Travis-CI builds. We’ll hopefully say goodbye to locally-built packages :smiley:

I want to make local builds work in the next turn though.

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #8

Indeed I feel make-rpms a bit much longer to proceed than my script…I will try to figure why.

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #9
cd ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/
tar -xvf ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/$PACKAGE-$VERSION.tar.gz 2>&1 > /dev/null
rpmbuild -bs --nodeps ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/$PACKAGE.spec

In fact I use mock just one time, the source are built by rpmbuild, whereas you call it two times (one to build the srpm, another to build the rpm)

(Davide Principi) split this topic #10

2 posts were split to a new topic: Welcome nethbot!

(Davide Principi) #11

There’s a nethserver-makerpms update on nethserver-testing!

This is a simple RPM build environment based on the CentOS 7 official Docker image.
It can build RPMs in the travis-ci.org environment, or on your local Fedora 29+ machine. CentOS rootless builds seem to not (still) work: as such you must be root to make it work on CentOS 7.

Still not official, but really nice! Updated README.rst

PR:

(Davide Principi) #12

I think we’re ready for a release!

Just added an enhancement to reuse YUM cache across multiple makerpms runs. It speeds it up at lightning speed :cloud_with_lightning:

https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-makerpms/pull/4#issuecomment-484127485