Edit MS-Word files hosted on a VPS?

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a way to edit word documents hosted on NS-Webserver.
The solution is for my customers and should work without a VPN.

MS-Word is installed on the Windows 10 Clients. The server will be installed on a VPS.
It should be possible to edit the files directly. Do you know a Solution, please tell me?

Nextcloud and OpenOffice should do the job.

1 Like

Just Nextcloud or would I need Collabora/Onlyoffice too?

If your goal is only to use MS Word to edit the files stored there, you wouldnā€™t need Collabora or OpenOffice. If you also wanted to be able to edit them through a web interface, youā€™d need one of those additional packages.

1 Like

OK, thank you for the hint. I am not sure if they are just development versionsā€¦ What would you use in a production environment?

Nextcloud definitively not development versions, they are production.

1 Like

Be aware of the bad move by onlyoffice to make a ā€˜freeā€™ version that can only view docs.
See Onlyoffice removes editing in community edition of nextcloud
I have both onlyoffice and collabora online running on my server, so I can choose whatever version I would like to use.

1 Like

In this case, just collabora would fit for usā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦and note that, as discussed in that thread, this restriction applies only to mobile appsā€“a regular computer can still edit files through the web interface. Itā€™s also unclear if this restrictions applies to OnlyOffice proper, or only to the version bundled with Nextcloud as ā€œHubā€.

I tested with proper onlyoffice and from version 5.5 of documentserver mobile clients can just view anymore. I assume itā€™s the same for newer hub versions but didnā€™t test yet.

2 Likes

Do we have the 20 user home use limit with Collabora Online under Nextcloud?

Never tested but I assume yes as we use CODE.

OK, thank you Markus!

Edit: And thank you to all the othersā€¦!