DHCP specific options - howto/wiki?

NethServer Version: 7.9
Module: DHCP Server
So.

Currently the DHCP interface do not comply to add custom options for the service. Automagically informations are withdraw from the PBX, the network interfaces, and so on.

Ok… But i’d love to create custom options, and i know the way (custom template) but not how to make it, at least in the correct way for DHCP.

Startin from option 66.
I’d love to have any experience and I’m available to sort of “wiki/howto” for implementing “the right way” for other users…

I think it’s simpler to follow these instructions to create a custom template fragment that adds options at the end of /etc/dnsmasq.conf:

Just add your options In /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dnsmasq.conf/91options like

dhcp-option=tag:br0,66,1.2.3.4
dhcp-option=tag:br0,150,1.2.3.4

br0 is the internal interface and options 66 and 150 are set to 1.2.3.4 in this example.

3 Likes

Hi,
I can help you to update Cisco firmware to SIP if you like to do it.
I’ve done several times using less than 15minutes and a Windows machine (to run TFTP).
But you can use linux/MAC if you like.
What line of Cisco phones do you have ? 78xx , 79xx, 3905, …

Regards,

Jáder Marasca (I have a gmail account with first.last name, if you like to contact me directly!)

@jader thanks for your kindness.
In fact i don’t have any Cisco phone to upgrade, but due to the a third party VOIP PBX in the network, I have to provide the right entries for DHCP server, currently a NethServer installation.

Maybe your experience could be shared to other people… You use Pumpkin or TFTPD32 for the task?

Hi Pike

I use TFTPd 32/64 for a long time.

IMVHO, at least for option 66 there is the field to fill

DHCP → at the left of the specific interface, then click modify.

And here you find TFTP server (which should be Option 66)

However still lacking other DHCP options for VOIP phones. But today I ESX-ized a “Trashcan” Mac Pro with latest 7.0U3J version. Quite a tough trip, ProxMox (installed on another hardware on an NVMe card) started without a glimp, make ESX understand “Yes there’s a NVMe card installed, USE IT AS STORAGE, pretty please” was trickier.
So… more on that (DHCP options) later.

1 Like