Default ISO passwords don't work

To be specific:

VMWare ESX 5.5 Update 3 (server)
and
VMWare Workstation 12 Pro (laptop)

Neither of those, worked.

But you only encounter problems when you need to login in into Ns…
Have you tried to type the password into the user field ? (Web ui only)

Or you have to see if you can paste the password from your pc into the guest vm machine.
Alsi you can try and doenload another iso from another mirror.

My VmWare 5.1.0 #1 SMP Release build-799733

If I can’t login on the console, I can’t login on the WebGUI (obviously).

Pasting a password does not work in a VMWare console. Pasting will only work in PuTTY sessions (which doesn’t work either, because openssh is off at default.

Tom, pasting works aleo but you need vmwaretools installed.
Since you can’t login you will have to try on the webui to paste the password.

Meaning that from your pc you write the password into a notepad (so you will have visual confirmation that the password is: Nethesis,1234.
After that you copy and paste that password into the password field. This way no keyboard setting will affect.
Also try from different browsers to login.

Ps show us some screens with the vm settings and with the checksum of he iso file, maybe something has coruted that file.

@Ctek
If I remember correctly, none of the interfaces are set up until you log on via the console the first time. So the GUI would not connect. Even if the interface were up, he might know know what IP has been assigned.
@SilentDecode
At the logon prompt, try typing the password first. That way, as Ctek says, you will have visual confirmation that the system is accepting exactly what you type. Then erase that and enter “root”.
Cheers.

@Ctek Pasting passwords on the VMware vSphere client console, NEVER works for me. Not with Windows, not with ANY Linux… I don’t know how you do it, but it’s not available for me.
I can correctly type with 10 fingers, without issues. I’ve tried it multiple times on the web interface and my machine simply says that the password is incorrect. I’ve tried way too much combinations of the passwords, none work.

@Nas Why the heck are you making a machine based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux if Nethserver is obviously based on CentOS. Ok, they are much alike, but still…

@EddieA As the OP says, I’ve tried ALL combinations, on the console AND web interface.
Oh… And the web interface works, without having to login first… I can reach it, only not enter it.

I’ll post pictures of me trying to get into the WebGUI and console, in the next few days.

This is me, validating the ISO. The ISO is downloaded some days ago, but all their SHA-1 Checksums are the same.

HI @SilentDecode

You can proceed download of ISO from VMWare directly:

cd /vmfs/volumes/Datastore3/

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/nethserver/nethserver-6.7-x86_64.iso?r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nethserver.org%2Fgettin
g-started-with-nethserver%2F&ts=1454100863&use_mirror=netcologne

mv nethserver-6.7-x86_64.iso?r\=http\%3A\%2F\%2Fwww.nethserver.org\%2Fgetting-started-with-nethserver\%2F nethserver-6.7-x86_
64.iso

Then assign it to VM and try to install.

@Nas Why? I download it on my desktop or laptop, drop it in the datastore and it does exactly the same as your method.
If I download it on my desktop or computer, and I install it locally in Vmware Workstation, the same thing happens. There is no access to the console or WebGUI.

I’ve installed Nethserver the way you do: as Red Hat Enterprise Linux. All is the same, I can’t login but I can’t reach the WebGUI aswell. This is some serieus sh*t…

Please give TeamViewer session and i need to check this out!
Skype nassir_911

Hi Tom,

You said in an earlier post that you have "installed Nethserver maybe 30 times over the past year… ".
Did you have the same issue?
If not, what has changed from then? Only NS version or/and VMWare versions (Server or/and Workstation)?
Maybe is something wrong between VMWare Server and VMWare Workstation.
Can you try to install an older version of NS (that worked in the past, if worked) to see if you have the same issue?

We look forward for your answer!

Kind regards,
Gabriel

@Nas Sorry, I don’t let anyone take over my computer. Nobody gets access. Not my sister, not my mom, not my best friend. Nobody. It’s my own rule, and I don’t plan to brake them. My computer is in lockdown when I’m not home, or even when I’m home, but it’s always locked. I lock it if I go downstairs for 5 minutes.

@GG_jr Yep. Installed them about 30 times, nothing changed. In those 30 installs, I couldn’t get access to the CLI or the WebGUI.
I doubt there is something wrong with VMware Workstation. I just install it, configure it with my settings and it’s always been the same.
I’ve started with 6.6. Same issue.

So pls make Video of your installation, in other case pls, close this Holy war topic!

Sorry Tom, but I think it’s from your VM. Maybe the NIC on VM is not configured properly.
I used/tested NS from 6.5 version on VM (VirtualBox) or/and dedicated machines and always run.

@GG_jr how NIC influence on Root password? it is crazy!!! This man makes us dummy admin.

I have reproduced all steps on ProxMOX and VmWare and so on, all works as expected.

1 Like

Every time I make a VM with a Nethserver installation that fails (fails = cannot login), I delete the WHOLE VM and Create a new one. So it’s not one VM, for every NethServer install. 30x Nethserver installs = 30x VM creation.

Tom said: I couldn’t get access to the CLI or the WebGUI.

My GOD, how about Vmware console that emulate VM Monitor ?

Yes. But I could ping it and search services.

But even when my VM’s don’t work, EVERYTHING what I install that ISN’T Nethserver, works like a charm. So the problem cannot be my host or laptop…