Creating a image of the whole nethserver

Thank you @Andy_Wismer and @michelandre. Your annotations are very interesting.

My Diskstation is my data grave and runs and runs and runs… a stable system, no problems in the last 7 years. But I don’t do critical experiments with it unlike Nethserver.
I had to set up NS completely new several times because I couldn’t fix mistakes and the complete reinstallation was much faster. (that was the reason to think about doing a drive image for disaster recovery)
In the case of the loss of the complete NS installation, I also assume the loss of the LDAP. Synology LDAP would be the surviving system.

I have no experience with restoring NS Backups and would like to avoid bringing in misconfigurations into a fresh installation via restore.

BackupPC is not an easy understandable system, esp.the french instructions do not make it easier.

I have to try a lot… As soon as I have enough confidence in NS and my administration skills, I will also use LDAP.
Thank you for your patience.

Hi Marko,

Before going any further you need to use Virtual machines - this is a must for testing as you can easily take a snapshot of a machine and return to it in case of an error. It takes only a few seconds to return to a previous machine, you do not have to reinstall…

Have a look at: https://dokuwiki.micronator-dev.org/doku.php?id=nethserver_101_cahier_02_installations_configurations_logiciels_prerequis to install all the required softwares for a testing environment.

In that, it will show you how to install VirtualBox - a must…

Michel-André

1 Like

Hi Michael, you can read minds, that’s exactly why I’m experimenting with Proxmox. I have already installed NS as a VM, but I can’t get it configured as a gateway, because only one of the two physical interfaces can be activated in Proxmox. But this is now a bit off topic here.

Hi Marko.

A lot of people at NS are using Proxmox but I prefer VirtualBox - easier. I do not have a big LAN so VB is quite good for me.

I made a document on it: https://dokuwiki.micronator-dev.org/doku.php?id=nethserver_201_cahier_06_proxmox

Michel-André

1 Like

62 posts were merged into an existing topic: Problem configuring NethServer as gateway in Proxmox

my Solution:

Install veeam backup agent, works great.

Using XCP-NG and XOA I automate my full system VM backups (you might consider this a whole system image) to an SMB/NFS/ISCSI FreeNas share as flat self contained vhd files. Within my Backup jobs I use TAG labels on each of my VM’s that have been defined within my backup jobs that automatically pull their respective VM’s for backup without me having to set policy per VM. Restoration is only limited by my hardware/networking backend and can be automated for disaster recovery detection/automatic deployment.

I’d highly suggest watching Lawrence System’s video to get a quick and dirty explanation/live demo if you were interested in learning about this platform from someone with tons of experience.

1 Like

@stojovski

Hi

Isn’t this just Backup software?

It seems it can create images.

It’s just that VEEAM is a highly MS Company. Most Server Products are for VMWare or HyperV, and require a MS Server - to “administrate” a Linux system?

And VEEAM can’t handle KVM well - or not at all…
( or XCP-NG, for that matter!)

My 2 cents
Andy

Well I have a very good experiense with veeam, and it is backup software, i have tested with nethserver, it’s just very reliable.Of course with kvm you can use image backup.I spoke about backup.With veeam i was able to restore completely, and also with proxmox.Proxmox it’s just great, all on board, than you don’t need any image backup software, and Nethserver have a backup on board. For veeam agent you don’t need MS system, it works from Linux console.

OK, thx for the Infos…

The Titel IS about Imaging, not Backups… :slight_smile:

I looked and tested VEEAM against a ESXi 5.5 2 years back.
Not just the Backup, but the whole set of Tools freely available at the time.
I even installed a Windows Server in ESXi to manage it, but that wouldn’t work at all!
Tried even in two separate locations.

Maybe, in those two cases, Novell’s IPX Protocolls (And other, nowadays rare stuff) on the LAN were interrupting, as besides for NetWare, my friend had a very similiar setup, even same hardware, and it was working for him.

Maybe another look might be worth it, as I still have clients running Netware on ESXi, those are the only ESXi I still have running…

My 2 cents
Andy