Core update to 3.0.0 and modules update error

Hi,

I just checked for updates on my NS8 server and a core update to 3.0.0 was available as well as NethVoice, NethVoice-Proxy and Crowdsec.

Performed an update via software center, core first, then update all modules. This lead to an error and nothing can be updated anymore (grayed out):

The error came almost immediately so I am pretty sure none of the module are actually updated to the version mentioned. And the dashboard still shows:

cc: @davidep

2 Likes

If no background update is running / hanged, I bet logs will help dev team.

1 Like

Sure, I would need the input from them to filter for the right messages.

Interesting, it seems that I can now update the modules for the option is no longer grayed out.

However, when clicking the update option is see the installed and available versions are still the same. I hold off of actual updating until one of the devs has taken a look at this issue, for it’s a production server and I do not want to break it (If I haven’t already…)

4 updates available (total instances)

and here 3 (total applications)

Altho technically correct, it may be confusing. It is/was to me at least.

I am now experiencing the same issue as LayLow. I had an update for Core to v3.0.0. After I updated Core to v3.0.0. I then saw 4 available updates, and they are greyed out. Likewise, I can not update.

@davidep

OK. Well I add two repos to NS8 and now the Software Center now shows the 1 updates (nethvoice), and I am able to upgrade it. I don’t know if me adding the repos (Mrmarkuz repository and Stephdl repository) changed things somehow, or if Software Center reset somehow?

Wanted to let you know.

DId you see any error message?

Please perform a “hard refresh” of the cluster-admin page in your browser. On supported browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium), my preferred method is using the key sequence Ctrl + Shift + R, but other methods are also available.

I hope it helps.

I didn’t see any announcement for Core 3.0.0 in the forum and to be honest I’ve never seen one for any NS8 updates. I still see the occasional NS7 one here though.

All I see is a link for “Review and update”, which takes you to the Update with no details available:

Cheers.

2 Likes

Also it seems like the testing repos and option to enabe or disable them has been disabled.

is this a bug, an overlook or by design?

Yes, the process is still manual. Nethbot will learn how to do it automatically, but nobody has taught it yet. So, for now, I’m still writing the announcements by hand while replying here.

Nice catch, Martin. This is by design. I’ll explain it in the release notes. In short, you can now update to a testing version only from an existing instance card. Check the three dots menu for that option.

The update action is displayed only when a testing version is available.

For developers and QA team, look at Software repositories | NS8 dev manual

Yes, but unfortunately I deleted the screenshot by accident. It was a popup with a task error.

Can one revert back to production level?
Is the option to upgrade to esting version only available when a testing version indeed available?
How to tell what a testing version contains or differs from the production version?

i think there is alot of Grey area on this scenario, nad might not be possible.

How this could be possible would be if NS8 makea a backup snapshot of your instance right before update, then when we revert, we only restore what you had running before.

this however means any data you added after upgrade would not be present.

i think it could also be a good case for nay updates, and then maybe auto delete it after number of days.