at first, sorry for my bad english.
3 years ago we used Dropbox. But more and more customer data had to be available for us on the “road”. So Dropbox wasn’t the right service anymore. One of the first alternatives was seafile (tested before owncloud) and since then we used this cool cloud-server on our own hyerrV server. So i can’t say much about owncloud.
Maybe someone else can highlight his own experiences with ownlcloud.
at the moment we have 3 happy customers, using seafile for all their documents and teamworking on that.
- easy installation (if you’re firm with linux cli)
- very, very, very stable and fast!!! (i red much comments about slow owncloud clients)
- integrated snapshot-system/versioning/trash for changed files/folders … as long as you want
- multiple sharing options with external or internal users
- possibility to register yourself on the webinterface (with admin approval)
- nice webinterface (see screenshots) and client-software
- clients for all platforms (win,mac,linux,android,ios)
- user-db options (sqlite/sql/ldap)
- very active development an support (also for community/free serverversion)
- good documentation for admins (installation and configuration)
- professional service and hosting (also in germany) available
- user-rights management is bit confusing for the first time
- library (top level folders) and sub-library system (in comparison to normal folders) has first to be unterstand by customer (and admin ) and should be planed very well before create the librarys
- only a filecloud-server, no contact or calendar sync!, but this is a clear desicion from the developers, there are enough groupware server on the market (imho)
comparison webinterface (also workplace for admin):
Performance ownCloud vs Seafile (on a Raspberry Pi B+, ionas)
Test: ownCloud | Seafile
Fotos Upload: 0,5 MB/sec. | 2,5 MB/sec.
Fotos Download: 0,5 MB/sec. | 3,0 MB/sec.
ISO Upload: failed | 2,1 MB/sec.
ISO Download: not tested | 3,0 MB/sec.