Citadel on Nethserver (Full Email, collaboration, groupware, and content management)

@Andy_Wismer I guess I am miss understanding what @dnutan is saying. As I believe you understand I was just responding back to him based off his response.

1 Like

I think both of us mean the same. Implement Citadel as a NS8 App.
When I was saying from scratch was in reference to the integration part, not to build a “new” thing (not a custom citadel version only for ns8).
Sorry, no native English speaker/writer here…

A dialup BBS is not an Internet mail server; any connection between the BBS of (allegedly) 1980 and the web-based software of today is tenuous at best.

Again, the mail stack for NS8 is set (and is pretty much what was used in NS7, and NS6, and SME, and…). It’s worked well for a long time, and the devs know it well. To switch to a completely different mail stack, especially after NS8 has been released, would require a pretty compelling argument, which I haven’t seen. Though this is a big point in Citadel’s favor:

I never had an argument against this.

But I do prefer any Backup Mail system to run on a completly different system underneath (sendmail & cyrus?)…
It’s NEVER intended to replace the main system, but to retain mail and be available in case.

:slight_smile:

I think the discussion here is about providing options, not about replacing the postfix/dovecot stack. Just like you can have ldap or AD as your identity provider, it could be possible to select which mail software you want to use.
Providing options is usually a good thing. @Andy_Wismer is giving a good example why.

2 Likes

Agreed! Well put. I can think of a couple more.
Developer decides to go rogue -

Opensource destroyed by legal threat -
https://intuitiveexplanations.com/tech/replit/

Company of opensource project you use in NS gets sold and the new owner stops supporting the code, or the company just decides to stop supporting a project (ex: CentOS, ).

I don’t want to list at nauseam… so … and so on.