CentOS Linux to CentOS Stream discussion

I try (sometimes) to get my blood cold, one decision cannot be taken in a fast time, mostly like this. With more of 15 years of RHEL expertise, throw away this for a supposed crisis, I think that NethServer and behind nethesis have known other crisis that you maybe have never listened.

For the little story, one of my mentor Ian Wells, former lead developer of SME Server, is working for Microsoft. One of his life lesson to me was, Never lock a door, your competitor will be your tomorrow friend.

Microsoft is now a major contributor to open source…Did I never say that we won the war :smiley:

6 Likes

I think we need to keep our options OPEN. Deciding now to go for anything like CentOS stream is too hasty, with too many uncertainties.
Rocky-linux is on a fast track to get things organized. I just created an account on their discourse forums. At least their goal is steady: create what CentOS was untill dec 8th: a rebuild of RHEL.
And of course I do understand that saying NS should switch to whatever distribution is too early. Just keep the options open, that’s all I would suggest.

6 Likes

I’d want to say something, now RH Change Advocates claim “Centos Stream is not unstable, please stop the FUD, this is the future and the like…”.

Hey RH, you began the FUD, a really, very-very FUD. After breaking the promises that never would change (think in people that migrated to CentOS 8).
But what is worst, saying things like that:

If you’re using CentOS Linux in a commercial deployment, we suggest you look at moving to RHEL for the added management technologies, security, and support that are an integral part of the RHEL subscription. Our sales teams can help you identify the appropriate offerings that match your use case.

Converting from CentOS Linux to RHEL is easy. You can download the convert2RHEL tool and do it yourself, or Red Hat can help you make this conversion.

These people don’t understand that a lot of companies, organizations and users adopted since a lot of year CentOS not because they don’t want to pay RH, but because they can’t.

For some time we have seen the FOSS co-opted by people that understand a lot of business but little of FOSS…

But someone could say hey RH is a profit organization, what could you expect?

Well, you have this at least this unhappy and awkward statement from CentOS:

If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.

https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=future-is-centos-stream

Really? And then you’re asking for not spreading FUD? Come on…

Little serious…

4 Likes

Hi all,

Another reason to never trust Red Hat again:
https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/#comment-184146

This is only an unlikely possibility, but given what Red Hat has done to CentOS, you never know what RH/IBM$ are capable of.

Michel-André

1 Like

Like a pawnshop. And please, delete RedHat. Since today it’s IBM. And the new name of the software is IBMEL 1.0 “Ripoff Edition”.

I think you’re wrong. You already know what IBM does.
Squeeze money. From the top to the bottom. And when it’s drained completely, they squeeze twice more.

And i’d pay a beer or a single malt to you if any of the contribution not according to IBM goals will not be rejected without explanation. Cutting the rope to CentOS like IBM did is a way to throw away all the not paying customers (which brings also feedback on bugs) and increase revenues.
It’s not “wrong” par se, it’s not suiting the current situation.

The second beer or single malt if the stability or the “package tornado” won’t encrease by far from CentOS 7 to CentOS Stream.
Which will become, in my so ignorant and cold fish believengs, the bug washing machine of IBM needs. A friendly “please dude go back in time and sort out the messsuggestion straght from Armonk.

Ok, putting down most of the swords…
I don’t think that CentOS Stream will become whimsical like Gentoo or something even more bleeding edge, but the release quality certainly will decrease. Cutting CentOS 8 a lot of development won’t be needed anymore for backporting corrections, and i think also that CentOS 7 will receive only security fixes. Less work to do, hoping it will be translated into better quality of code. But CentOS x and Stream have quite different goals. And they’ll become clearer to the community only at the last year of CentOS 7. When the transition to IBMEL won’t be suggested, or nudged, but forcibly pushed; even more if the business plan for revenues won’t match the expectation of the new shareholder. Or emperor, as you wish.

The kindness to CentOS shown by RedHat was important to gain customers for services and subscriptions. But now, IBM wants more profits, so i think that as happened with Dyn and Oracle… after acquisition prices skyrocketed. And IMVHO, IBM wants to skyrocket the subscriptions.

2 Likes

a german proverb says it drastically: “Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als eine Schrecken ohne Ende” / “Better an end with horror than a horror without end”
Let’s move to Debian.

The whole IBM bunch has not deserved us as users ans contributors.

10 Likes

All the distro’s, at the end it is all about the package manager right? So the question is “Do we stick to RPM/dnf or another package?”

I think we agree on 1 thing all together, we at a crossroad, and have to decide which sustainable, stable and safe direction we are going for the long run.

1 Like

… I really don’t think so…

1 Like

I don’t think so–OpenSuSE is quite different from CentOS/RHEL, for example, though they both run on RPM. Back in the day, Mandrake was very different from RedHat. For that matter, Fedora is very different from RHEL. And so on. We need to be based on a distro that’s stable and well-supported, with a well-defined and reliable LTS policy. We need upstream to be quick on security updates, while not breaking things–and we need them to do it, because I’m pretty sure we don’t have the resources to maintain an entire distro ourselves. Yes, “stable” means the base distro won’t include the latest bells and whistles–and that’s a good thing. The PHP devs, for example, haven’t heard of backward compatibility, so things that work fine in 5.x break horribly in 7.x.

As of a week ago, CentOS met these criteria–today, it doesn’t. Even if they completely reversed course and returned to what they were saying that recently, we couldn’t trust their LTS promises any more, because they’ve already shown their willingness to break them.

8 Likes

RedHat opened the can of worms …and so fishing season starts.

3 Likes

Oracle Linux does seem very well-positioned as a replacement for CentOS. One of it’s biggest advantages is also one of its biggest (potential) drawbacks–it’s got a big company behind it, with good business reasons to keep it going–and, as they point out, it’s the same code their enterprise customers are using. The counterpoint is that it’s a big company with some history of, um, not playing well with others.

Another big advantage is that it’s there now–there’s no start-up time for this project, as it’s already a going concern (and has been for some time). You can pull down the OEL8 ISO and install it right now.

1 Like

Hi all

Oracle is Oracle. It might be that their OEL8 is an in-place replacement for Centos 8 - or just a little script away.
But I don’t think the FLOSS Community has forgotten OpenOffice or MySQL…
Oracle made and sealed their reputation.

Then again, this is NethServer, not Centos. Sure, at the moment we use Centos 7 underneath, but even RHEL8/Centos8 caused some issues and discussions here.

At the moment, BigBlue could pull the plug on Centos7 just as fast - and within one year a move or to Oracle under the hood? Not with me!

Guys, I’d just like a better long term perspective…

My 2 cents
Andy

4 Likes

Oracle Linux will be subject to the whims of the Oracle management and by its dependence on free access to RHEL also the IBM board of directors and CEO. So 2 corporations in between nethserver and longterm stability.

With nethserver 7.9 having another 4 years before EOL, now is as good a time as any to move nethserver away from that sort of dependence.

Quoted below from the article linked above.

Don’t get caught by greedy corporate motivations that will result in you losing years of your life’s work for absolutely no good reason. Make your time and effort count and either contribute to Debian or give your employees time to do so on company time. Many already do and reap the rewards of this, and don’t look back.

While Debian is a very container and virtualization friendly system, we’ve managed to remain a good general-purpose operating system that manages to span use cases so vast that I’d have to use a blog post longer than this one just to cover them.

And while learning a whole new set of package build chain, package manager and new organisational culture and so on can be uhm, really rocky at the start, I’d say that it’s a good investment with Debian and unlikely to be time that you’ll ever felt was wasted.

4 Likes

Mint Linux doesn’t seem to trust Canonical/Ubuntu in the long term, they’ve got a completly Debian based Distro ready…

And Snap - a bigger security hole? And a closed source store?

I’s vote Debian! Or FreeBSD…

My 2 cents
Andy

->
Looking for the perfect distro may be at times like a wild goose chase…
Still better than paying for a boat race… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m aware of their reputation (and alluded to it in my last post), and at least some of the reasons for it (there’s also ZFS). People and companies can and do change, but I’m not saying they have (or that they haven’t). But it’s an option, and I don’t think it’s wise to reject it out of hand. Keep in mind that this is a different product with a different history–RHEL has always been a commercial product; it’s never been free to download/use. When they bought out CentOS, it was predictable that this day would come. OEL, by contrast, has (TTBOMK) always been freely available; their business model on this is to charge for support (which is a pretty common business model in F/OSS). Apparently it’s been working for them. Sure, nothing keeps them from changing, but the incentive is much less obvious than it is with RHEL/CentOS.

And really, given the OEL distro, we aren’t really depending on RH/IBM. If RH continue to be increasingly bad actors, Oracle have their own reasons to keep their distro up-to-date, even if it may diverge from RHEL.

Now, if we take as an article of faith (perhaps as a result of this incident) that we need to use a distro without any semblance of corporate control or oversight, then yes, that rules out Oracle, SuSE, anything from RedHat, really anything but Debian. But I don’t think it’s wise to take that position as a given.

Ultimately, I don’t think my opinion is that important here, nor is yours–we aren’t going to be doing the bulk of the work on NS8. I’d prefer to stay with something EL-like, as that would make for the least amount of work for me to continue maintaining (and maybe creating) my modules. But I’m sure I can learn to build and distribute .deb packages if I need to.

4 Likes

This is right, but however I like this thread, it could help nethesis to choose the right direction.

If I think about oracle I always think about java, what is not free anymore for commercial use. I know there is an openjdk, but there are a lot of programs don’t work with it.

Whatever “we” do, I’ll stand behind nethesis and nethserver, they always do a good job, fixed errors very quickly and work together with the community.

The new business modell of RedHat/IBM is similar to the one we use since years, let’s test the community and if everything works, give it to the customers who pay.
The big difference, I think, is

• nethesis developers also help at the community
  • new updates not from upstream are on a testing repo and are only updated for all users after tests (SOGo for example)
  • stable upstream updates
  • a very awesome and helpful community

This is my opinion and I hope I’m not alone with it.

8 Likes

Hi all,

From Gregory M. Kurtzer:

Ref: https://github.com/rocky-linux/rocky/discussions/13

We will start off with short, mid and long term goals:

• Short term (2 months): We need to get a release out there for testing and usage so the community can prepare for testing and migrations (12 months is not a long time). This release will include package repositories, mirrors, as well as an installer. Since it is unlikely we will have all of the RPM package autobuilder infrastructure worked out at this point, we will leverage existing CentOS binaries as possible. Signed RPMS will come from both Rocky as well as CentOS.
  • Mid term (6 months): The Rocky team will continue developing and building the underlying operating system and updates as necessary. By this point, we anticipate having our testing infrastructure up and automatic build infrastructure running and Rocky will be ready for enterprise and cloud deployments. Rocky as an organization will be accepting donations to help with infrastructure but will be strictly not-for-profit and will thus have organization structure solidified.
  • Long term (12 months and beyond): Special Interest Groups, financial sustainability (via corporate sponsorships and individual donations), community advocates, board of advisors, etc…

Have no fear, Rocky is here !

In only 3 days, Rocky Linux is alive and already rocking !

Only 2 months to wait & see.

Michel-André

4 Likes

within 6 months they want to be ‘ready for enterprise and cloud deployments’.
That is quite ambitious. But I love the pace things take off!

1 Like

The question that ties the two threads together is, “on what distro should NS8 be based?” I’m not presuming to tell the core devs the answer to that question, but I hope I can at least bring some clarity to the points of concern.

First, Neth is a server distro. It needs to be stable, with minimal changes required for the base OS over as long a period as possible. That means it would be highly desirable for it to be based on a LTS server distro, which CentOS 8 no longer is–CentOS 8 proper’s EOL date has been cut by eight years; while CentOS “Stream” is the Beta for RHEL, and on a rolling release model, and therefore not stable. Even aside from any corporate shenanigans, this strikes me as unacceptable.

Neth (and its parent, and its parent) have been RH-based for over 20 years (I was using e-smith in late 1999, and that wasn’t even the first release). There’s a lot of inertia favoring staying that way. We’ve all had to adapt over that time, of course, but we know how the system works. We know how to build packages for it, we know how to set up automated build systems for it, we know what it provides and what it doesn’t provide. This, IMO, strongly favors staying with something EL-based if possible.

Of course, “EL-based” isn’t 100% a good thing–a good bit of the discussion in the other thread is about RH’s shift of direction with EL8, things that are no longer provided, etc., which would give some challenges in building NS8 on EL8. Switching to another EL-based distro does nothing to address those issues. It’s possible that rebasing might help here, but I’m not familiar enough with the landscape to know one way or the other.

The other concern with “EL-based” is that RH might act to further pull the rug out from under EL clones. I don’t think it’s possible to accurately assess the likelihood of this, but it certainly looks more plausible today than it did a week ago.

So with that as background, here’s what I’m seeing as pros and cons for a few distros that have been mentioned:

EL-based

Oracle Linux

Pros:

• It’s here now. It’s an existing, stable product that’s been around for a while.
  • Appears to be a drop-in replacement for EL8/CentOS8
  • Large installed userbase
  • Committed LTS until 2029 for OL8
  • Adequate financial backing (as far as we can tell)
  • Vendor is sufficiently resourced that further RH shenanigans aren’t likely to be a major problem for the distro–in the worst case, they could diverge from RHEL at that point and we could just follow them.

Cons:

• Oracle. They’ve got some pretty shady history.
  • ?

Oracle’s business model for OL seems (to me, at least) more compatible with our needs than RedHat’s did (after acquiring CentOS). There’s only the one software product, not the two in apparent competition like RHEL vs. CentOS. There’s no charge at all for the software, unlike with RHEL. They do sell support (~US$1200/year/server), but everyone gets the same code from the same repos. But their history may be too tough of a pill to swallow.

Rocky Linux

Pros:

• Will be completely community-based, no corporate control
  • Project lead should know what he’s doing, given his history

Cons:

• It doesn’t exist yet.
  • Since it was only stood up a few days ago, financial stability is uncertain

I’m hopeful this project will link up with Scientific, CloudLinux, etc.–there are a number of organizations who want/need the same basic thing of a community-based EL clone. There may in due course be a reason to separate these, but for the time being (again, IMO) it would make more sense to work together to develop a single, updated, stable EL clone.

CloudLinux’ clone (as yet unnamed, AFAIK)

Pros:

• It has a company behind it with a business reason to develop and maintain it.

Cons:

• Having a company behind it means there’s a profit motive, which may make some people uncomfortable.
  • Like Rocky, it doesn’t actually exist yet.

Their announcement sounds good, and it certainly sounds like they’re intending for this to be a community distro, rather than just their corporate distro. Neither this nor Rocky has any track record as yet, but there’s obviously demand for a free EL clone, so assuming they’re managed decently (and assuming no further RH shenanigans), I’d expect they’ll do well. But, again IMO, they’d be more vulnerable to those RH shenanigans, were they to occur, than Oracle would be.

Non-EL-based

IMO, we should avoid this if possible–I just don’t see how any potential benefit from rebasing justifies the cost of retooling the entire development process, even assuming the e-smith template system could be made to work on the target OS (which I’d expect it could, as long as it uses text configuration files and can run Perl). None of these, AFAIK, match the LTS policy that CentOS has had of 10 years from release.

Debian

Pros:

• No corporate control–it’s a non-profit project
  • Long-standing, stable server distro

Cons:

• I’m not aware of any unique to Debian, other than the general issue noted above (applicable to all the non-EL-based solutions) that it would require pretty much a ground-up rewrite of Neth

Ubuntu Server

Pros:

• Popular. Admittedly based only on my own observations, it’s probably the most popular Linux distro, and the most popular Linux server distro. Lots of software already available for this platform, and lots of third-party guides.
  • Also a long-standing (though not quite so long as Debian), stable server distro.

Cons:

• It does have a company behind it, and therefore a profit motive. And some of Canonical’s decisions haven’t been very popular.

Both of these use apt/dpkg/.deb for packaging, of which I’m not a big fan as a user, though I’ve heard claims that they’re superior for technical reasons.

FreeBSD

Pros:

• Long-standing and stable to a greater degree than any of the others listed
  • “Genetic UNIX”–it actually derives from the original Unix source tree, unlike Linux
  • It doesn’t have Linus’ irrational hatred of ZFS, so ZFS is baked into the OS
  • FreeBSD jails are pretty handy–I use them a lot under FreeNAS to run a variety of software I don’t want interfering with the base OS

Cons:

• It isn’t Linux, meaning a greater degree of difference than would be seen with Debian.
  • It doesn’t use all of the GNU tools, meaning there are subtle differences–some of the flags to sed behave differently, for example. This can lead to considerable frustration.
  • Much less popular than Linux (in any form), meaning software availability isn’t as good. If source is available, most anything that will compile on Linux can compile on FreeBSD, and there’s also a Linux compatibility module that can help, but it remains an issue
  • As an extension of the last point, no real Docker support

It’s also worth pointing out that there’s a fundamental difference between the BSD license and the GPL, in that the former doesn’t require distributors to release source like the GPL does. This is more a philosophical difference than a technical one, but should be considered.

I hope this is helpful, at least in bringing light to the issues to consider.

15 Likes

@danb35

God job well done, with this comparison matrix…

I’d just like to add this:

The FreeBSD linux compatibility module is quite powerful, way more than I expected!

And: FreeBSD is, AFAIK, the only mentionned which can do Major Upgrades without reinstallation - it ust works!
None of the others really do support this feature, Not RH, not Debian nor Ubuntu. All suggest a reinstallation…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes