Building Cockpit together

Will the Cockpit plug-ins be available, such as, cockpit-machines?

https://cockpit-project.org/guide/latest/feature-virtualmachines

Removing modules (and packages), compatibility with NethGUI
My test server was installed with NethGUI, then it was updated and I installed several packages (and modules) from NethGUI. Now also Cockpit is present.

But…

• not all NethGUI packages are shown into “Applications”.
  • there’s quite differences between NethGUI software center and Cockpit software center (for instance, i cannot see what modules i already installed)
  • some packages seems needed (dependencies) for installing other (for instance, email seems to have dependencies likes rSpamd, nethserver-mail-filter, nethserver-mail-getmail)
  • for remove packages i must access to Application section because Software Center cannot be used

Just trying to point out the situation, that’s not a complain.
IMHO, at least from Software Center I should be able to:

• understand what’s installed on the server
  • remove unwanted packages

Both functions are implemented in the Applications page.

Roles are

• software center to add/update/upgrade,
  • applications to run/remove …but remove is a very secondary function
1 Like

This is a design choice: modules not shown in Cockpit should be considered almost deprecated.
We are updating the doc, but it takes some time: Describe Cockpit usage by gsanchietti · Pull Request #446 · NethServer/docs · GitHub

Optional packages are now installed by default from Software Center. If a packages has not been installed, each application should detect it a display a button to add the missing package.

1 Like

There are no plans for that at the moment

I’m using cockpit-machines on NethServer.

1 Like

@filippo_carletti Please elaborate and post some guidelines how we all can benefit from your experience… :wink:

1 Like

In a terminal, type:

yum install cockpit-machines

Then go to cockpit. That’s it.

3 Likes

Thank you.

I this helps to benefit from the other cockpit dev efforts.

1 Like

Hi;

Congratulations on the cockpit integration, it’s very good and an excellent choice.

So, as requested, I’ve played with it and I’ve had few problems and I’ve seen few things that I think could be improved.

QUESTION

How we remove/uninstall packages/services via cockpit ?

ISSUE

System -> Backup -> Configuration Backup -> Configure

The option Automatic backups to keep (number) is not working, I can’t define how many backup I want to keep.

IDEA

For unity and simplicity, I think it would be nice to have a submenu of icon for the Application Menu

like we could see for the System Menu

Beg your pardon. Single RPM package, not module?

Just fiddling a bit with this. @filippo_carletti do you happen to know to what interface the cockpit-machines option is listening/accessable?
Is it possible to check and make sure it is only available through a GREEN interface?

Exacly… how you think that this is achievable? It’s a part of an application server which use port 9090.
So… or you allow connection to port 9090 (reducing footprint specifing allowed addresses to connect)… or you dont. At least… combining Shorewall and Cockpit settings.

Modules can be removed from Applications.

1 Like

@dnutan packages != modules. AFAIK now only way to install a package of CentOS (mc, for instance) is shell.

Thnx for the insight @pike
I made the thinking-error between the interface and the VM’s that are running, managed through the interface.
I would like to make sure the VM is behind NAT (from NethServer). I perfectly am able to disable RED interface for NethServer-cockpit (so it is only available from GREEN, through VPN)
So basically I need to know how networking is set for VM’s. I probably need to just launch a VM and see what happens.
BTW, in my recollection I seem to remember cockpit can also handle containers. Is that another module and if so, would it be possible to use that too on nethserver-cockpit?

/edit: found some info but unsure if this is going to work for NethServer: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-add-container-management-to-cockpit/

I’m sorry if I used the wrong term, but I don’t understand your comment
via the old GUI you have a button which I didn’t found one similar on cockpit

Now I understand yum remove and/or rpm -e exist

I understand not using the right terminology could be source of frustration but
the ***** Backup is a package, a module or simply a software ?

look at the description

Backup restore
Module to restore…

I’m sorry for the late response, @JOduMont, the backup is considered a module, which most of times is a metapackage or a packages with dependencies.

UTF8 display in Complete Name,

Fellow @ertank view a part of his Complete name contains characters different than ASCII.
Maybe some of the configuration about Cockpit should be enhanced for use UTF8?