Zentyal (samba 4) to Nethserver

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: NSDC

Hi Everyone, I’m working some server with Zentyal active directory, I would like migrate it to Nethserver, actually I can join from Nethserver to zentyal domain with no issues but I can not manage users from nethserver, Any idea where start?

Hi @cnaranjo

And welcome to the NethServer Forum.

AFAIK, there’s no way to “migrate” Zentyal to NethServer. Both can provide AD, NethServer can join an existing AD as a member, but can never administrate that AD. It can use users and groups from the AD to set permissions eg on shares, but can’t administrate or modify any users or groups.

The only real way to procede would be:

• Export from Zentyal a list of all users, groups, shares and email. (CSV or XL, at least 4 lists!)
  • Create a new NethServer and make that AD. Never using crap like .local or .lan, make it a subdomain of a real domain!
  • Import your users, groups, shares and email.
  • You’ll need to set new passwords for all users.
  • Then migrate your data (in the shares) and mail data…

Yes, it’s a lot of work, but in the end, well worth it!
And: think of using virtualization underneath. It’s 2023, no one installs natively on bare metal any more, only old die-hards still do native installs… !

Benefits like doing a quick snapshot before a critical update/upgrade are just too good!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer, thanks so much for reply! I know that install from scratch is the best option but I have environments more than 100 users.

I actually did a partial migration on my testing lab, with following:

Create a new domain on nethserver with same domain name, same ip, etc. I know it will create a new domain ssid.

Create in zentyal same ldapservice account and password as well, I think it is to nethserver connect to ldap database.

Copy all files in /var/lib/samba from zentyal to nsdc container and start service. I have running samba with all data on nsdc but I can not see any user on nethserver gui.

I just trying because I am learning nethserver, I think this is a goal for me now😬

That’s because your NethServer became a “member” of Zentyal’s AD.

Importing 100+ users is fairly quick via script.

André is right, you might be in the right direction. Try this procedure to fix the users list

https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/nethserver-dc.html#manual-join

1 Like

Yes, but it’ll change my domain ssid, so would I have re domain evevy pc and profile migrate ?

I’ ll tray this as soon I can! Thanks!!!