"Yum: Updates downloaded" email notifications

NethServer Version: Software Center
Module: 7.6

Hi,

I expected that the system would not send me notifications emails when the setting “Email to system administrator” is unchecked. It’s not the case.

• What’s the use of that setting ?
  • How to stop the system sending me updates notifications ?

Txs

Matthieu

1 Like

A mail is sent to root by default. I assume you set to send root mails to an external recipient in the root profile:

grafik

To send mails to other admins.

You may create a custom template but this disables mailing for yum-cron completely:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf/
cp /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf/20emitters /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf/

Edit /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf/20emitters and change emit_via = mail to emit_via = None

Apply the changes:

signal-event nethserver-base-update

This is a “bad” custom template as it overrides an existing fragment and future updates to yum-cron may not apply correcty but I didn’t find another way.

The tick-box is labelled: Send an email to the system administrator, not “other admins”.

If it’s supposed to activate/deactivate the custom recipients, then is should say that. Or better still only send e-mails if address are populated and remove the tick-box.

Cheers.

Cronaca generates mail for any output on standard error or standard output.
It doesn’t depended on yum-cron config.

That was also my understanding.

I would even go a bit further : I believe that no server should send “informative” emails. It should only send emails requiring attention. In this particular example yum sends a mail telling that there are updated packages, which is not relevant since it happens almost ever day.

An admin being flooded by those irrelevant emails could miss emails of vital importance, like a hard disk dying for instance.

That said, it looks like it is an upstream bug that was reported here :