Why only IT and US locales in Webtop

I think because webtop manage directly IT and US languages. Other languages are managed from transifex. But we can ask to# @lucag and @gabriele_bulfon

1 Like

@carsten NethServer is a community project. This means if we (the community) want a german translation of webtop, we have to start treanslating the strings on Transifex.
I am sure that as soon the translation is 100%, therre is an option to choose german as default too.

1 Like

@carsten

A friendly “Hello” at the beginning of a post will certainly make it easier for the many friendly people here in the forum to help you. Netiquette can be simple. “Good morning” says the farmer when he comes to the village.

Regards…

Uwe

1 Like

@lucag this “problem” is on Webtop5 Cockpit interface. Is the result of /etc/e-smith/events/actions/nethserver-webtop5-locale-tz. Maybe you can explain us better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I already translated many strings for Webtop in Transifex and I am willing to translage for Nethserver also, if someone adds me to the translation team on Transifex. How can I get a translation team member for German?

1 Like

Hi @federico.ballarini,

the local default that is configured on the cockpit interface refers only to TimeZone but above all to format.time and format.date in long or short forms.
In any case, this is a default setting which each user can then customize on personal settings.

I don’t know if it is appropriate to add other defaults in the choice :wink:

German is already present among the languages that each user can select from the personal settings:
Immagine

4 Likes

There are two settings, one for time zone and one for Defaut locale. All settings for a language should be done with one option. There is no use for having German language with English date formatting. Also it is annyoing to have each user configured separately. The default should be correct as set in the Nethserver language settings, which should allow the selection of all supported languages of Webtop (currently 6) and not only English and Italian, so the missing ones should be added to the selection box.

Another problem is not possible to select the correct date formats:
grafik
In German the short date format is dd.mm.yyyy, but this cannot be selected.

1 Like

Yes, you are right @carsten, this format is missing.
We will add it in the next feature release.

3 Likes

And please also add de_DE in the first dialog box also. It should not necessary to change the settings every user. The glo

1 Like

For this reason @federico.ballarini could think about it :wink:

1 Like

Which languages do you think we should add? All available in Webtop?

1 Like

Only the ones where the translation is complete (or almost complete) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with Giacomo’s idea :+1:

2 Likes

German should be included (and is included in the Webtop settings) but missing in the Nethserver settings for Webtop. I am currently translating the missing strings, and the state is currently over 93%.

I would suggest even up to Spanish although it is just 70%, because it would encourage people to translate the rest. Maybe more than 50% would be a good choice, because actuallly 50% could easily cover 80-90% of the most often used dialogs.

2 Likes

I think we should add at the moment: croatian, hungarian and german.

Someone could give me these data for the above languages?

'it_IT' => {
        LANGUAGE => 'it_IT',
        START_DAY => '1',
        DATE_FORMAT_LONG => 'dd MMM yyyy',
        DATE_FORMAT_SHORT => 'dd/MM/yyyy',
        TIME_FORMAT_SHORT => 'HH:mm',
        TIME_FORMAT_LONG => 'HH:mm:ss'
    },
2 Likes

@federico.ballarini

Hi Frederico

For Germen:

'de_DE' => {
        LANGUAGE => 'de_DE',
        START_DAY => '1',
        DATE_FORMAT_LONG => 'dd MMM yyyy',
        DATE_FORMAT_SHORT => 'dd.MM.yyyy',
        TIME_FORMAT_SHORT => 'HH:mm',
        TIME_FORMAT_LONG => 'HH:mm:ss'
    },

My 2 cents
Andy

3 Likes

@lucag @giacomo Since we have no answers, how can we proceed?

I agree with @carsten than we can include non-completed languages but I’d like to set an higher barrier (like we do for NS itself). So my proposal is to include translations completed at least at 90%.

Which answer do you need? If you’re searching for date format, you can find it inside any programming language. As a reference, you could also use this site: ICU Locale “Croatian (Croatia)” (hr_HR)

2 Likes

90% is much to high IMHO. When I started using Nethserver in German there were 60-70% translated but it felt likt that 90%. Even now, when the state of the German translation is just 93% but is quite difficult to find any untranslated strings in the UI.

I would never have startet using Nethserver in German and never starting translating and correcting the rest if German would have been no option to select and try. Therefore I repeat my suggestion to have a relative low limit to encourage other people to use it and translating the rest.

50% of all strings should be a good starting point, because it will cover 70-80% of the common dialogs already.

Is it possible to add a link to the translation tool when not translated words/strings are shown?