Why is Samba 2.2.2 used on NethServer 8 instead of version 4?

Why is Samba 2.2.2 used on NethServer 8 instead of version 4?

What makes you think NethServer 8 uses such an old version of Samba?

2.2.2 makes reference to the version of the nethserver app (ns8-samba v2.2.2) not to the shipped samba version.

1 Like

i think he is refering to these versions here Tags · NethServer/ns8-samba (github.com)

these are in relation to the nethserver app version itself and not the samba version being used

I apologize for the question, I’m still a newbie, but how can I find out which version is being used?

BAsed on this, it should be the latest version of samba you can get apt-get -y install samba winbind krb5-user iputils-ping bzip2 ldb-tools chrony dnsutils acl smbclient libnss-winbind rsync

1 Like

…on Ubuntu 23.10

…which (at the time of writing) is 4.18.6

2 Likes

One possible way, with NS8 and ns8-samba installed:

# replace samba1 (the app instance name) as appropriate
runagent -m samba1 podman exec samba-dc samba --version
runagent -m samba1 podman exec samba-dc smbstatus --version

2 Likes

Samba Release Notes

Thank you very much

And what is this then?

This is the version of the core module/app.

1 Like

I can understand that confusion. It is not immediately clear that the version numbering is about NS-Core modules and not about the application version.

I think there was a discussion somewhere in the forum about displaying the version of the apps used

2 Likes

It’s a package version requested, not module. So currently seems a bit hard to achieve, due to moltitude of dependances and packages included for every module-container.

For most apps you can see the app version and the used image versions.
Except for self-built images, they have their own versioning.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Add Windows server 2022 as a second domain controller of NS8 AD