Why extra files from package and how to remove them

It’s in /usr/share/games.
The directory is empty…it was not create by me …

So what is it? An easter egg? :smile:

[root@server share]# pwd
/usr/share
[root@server share]# rpm -qf ./games
filesystem-2.4.30-3.el6.x86_64

that said…

1. it seems that you miss some basic knowledge about package based distro
  2. it seems that you miss some basic knowledge about how RHEL/CentOS work
  3. it seems that you even didn’t try the command we suggest you, otherwise you already had an answer to your doubt (see above)
  4. if you need a “clean firewall gateway” without being worried/concened about “useless” files, you really have to switch to a different product.

since in this community there are (very) experienced users (forget about me), please start listening to them, start accepting their suggestions/advices and, if you’re not satisfied, start to dig into to see with your own eyes how things work.

don’t get me wrong, but my troll-o-meter index is fastly increasing…

1. No, I well understand the concept of packages and meta-package ( or group-packages)
  2. I never hide I’m new on CentOS base distro.
  3. Are you sure? This time you affirm one thing you don’t know.
  4. … worth answer this?

I’m digging Stefano, I’m digging…

Perhaps you are exasparate by my asks, but you are not oblige to answer, fell free to ignore me.

1 Like

yes, I’m…

if you just tried

rpm -qf /usr/share/games

you’d see that it comes from a core package… then you’d post something like
“oh, damn, is the OS itself that need it” or “ok, well, I think it’s a bug in the core package, let’s file a bug elsewhere”

I know I’m free to decide to answer you or not… and yes, I decide to answer you, 'cause NS is a quite complex piece of software, it share its roots with something I love (and I know very well) and that is developed since 15 years…
even if the debating is usefull to improve a product, I can debate with anyone defending my ideas with FACTS… facts come from knowledge, full stop.
you (generally speaking) can be an expert in your distro, but if you are not in Centos and NS, before make any kind of critizism, you’d learn… then, with the FACTS, you are free to come here and say “ok guys, e-smith layer is a mess, useless, we can replace it with $whatever_you_know_very_well for these reasons:
A) B) …Z)”

NS is like this:

it’s made of small pieces of code, all tied and every piece is there where it’s needed and for a reason…
yes, for sure, all can be reduced to this:

but if you (generally speaking) can’t think more that this one:

then just start studying it.

(BTW, I hate images, screenshots and all the “funny and fancy” pictures I see here, but in this case a picture can tell you more than thousand words)

2 Likes

You are full of certainties… I’m not.

Perhaps there’s a way to show you that I’ve do the rpm command… But what for? For convince you? :anguished:

Oh… /usr/share/games is here, and this is the OS itself wich put here… Certainly is the explanation why ClearOS rebuild everything like I’d read it here. Certainly… Or probably…

When I ask ask about the e-smith layer in another thread… It’s not to affirm “it’s bad”, I’m really not qualified to affirm this…
It’s a tentative to point a probably reason about the fact that Nethserver is not very popular.
Take a look at Distrowatch… And SME is more unpopular yet.
Distrowatch !!! It’s certainly not the more accurate tool to mesure popularity… But I don’t know other tool to do… It’s probably good enought.

ClearOS does a clone of RHEL, bugs to bugs, like CentOS does, bugs to bugs…They have not the resources to develop themselves a main distros.

Shout if I’m wrong

1 Like

For all those, like me, who don’t support cluttered system, who dont support to not control their disk space and want to clean all old useless stuff:

I strongly suggest you and everybody to not play with dependencies on yum erase/remove and so on
and, moreover, not to rely on this kind of automation
you can seriously break your server (I saw it almost twice)

There’s a reason they are called dependencies. It is strongly advised not to remove them if a package you required to have installed requires it.

Did you read the link I posted?

I talked about remove dependencies of uninstalled packages, orphans packages, unneeded dependencies… I never talked about needed dependencies.

From the link, where I remember, it’s stuff to help to pass the Red Hat Certified System Engineer,
It’s clearly written:
“The two previous solutions are perfectly safe. You don’t risk removing packages you don’t want to.”

‘yum autoremove’ is not yet usable, just for el7

‘yum clean alll --enablerepo=*’ is the good safe way to clean old rpm and find free space.

1 Like