Who receives the root email

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #1

Maybe I have missed something, but I wonder how read the root’s email…since the user admin needs a credential, do I need to use the admin user ?

many services send email to root, hence my interest.

thank in advance.

(JamesMillar) #2

I have smart host configured to send the email to my personal gmail account and selecting ‘always send a copy to bcc’. I get all relevant notifications; such as this morning the freshclam log failed to rotate due to a locked process. freshclam was updated yesterday on both my servers. I corrected one yesterday and fixed the other after receiving the email this morning.

Though in my setup, I don’t use NS as a mail server. Mail is only configured to send messages based on errors that require my attention. Otherwise the system runs without any issues.

(Giacomo Sanchietti) #3

You can change the forward address from the web interface: top right corner -> Profile -> External mail address.

If not set, messages will be derived to local mailbox.

@davidep: am I missing something?

(Davide Principi) #4

Right @giacomo , root’s External mail address is set on /etc/aliases, if mail-server is not installed and on /etc/postfix/aliases if mail-server is installed.

(Stefano) #5

email message will be forwarded even if no mail features are installed?

(Giacomo Sanchietti) #6

Yes, postfix is always installed.

(JamesMillar) #7

Incidentally, I did not realize that. I’ll update the admin profile with my email address and see if I get any additional mails that I wasn’t getting earlier.