Which backup server for NS8

Looking forward to find a way to backup clients on the network like we did with NS7

I could port backuppc without thinking myself a lot because it brings many features I need, mostly to backup linux clients and also windows clients with smb shares but I am not sure it is so actively maintained and it looks a bit old now

That is not fair because I love it and you could install cygwind on windows to get rsync

I looked after bareos and bacula but i feel them too much CLI backup system and I love a web page where you could do pretty well everything like for backuppc

Urbackup seem nice but not much experiences with it, the client side is nice because it avoid to open a smb share in the client

And that’s it…not sure where I could find a software client or clientless with a web page to manage the backup…do you have ideas or dreams to share

Pro for agentless

• you don’t need an agent
  • … but anyway you need to create sort of “backdoor” for the backup server to access. So you need anyway to configure in some way the client

Pro for agent

• you “install” the backdoor on the needed client that will act accordingly
  • you need to install it; without it, it won’t work

My odds are on client backup software.

Did you considered Amanda/Zmanda?

I use it, it is vy simple to implement, works perfect for windows clients and some other OS:

2 Likes

These ones I tried many years ago but from what I can recall:

• UrBackup: good. First backup slowing down user’s computers and network -to be expected- (talking of first releases) but had some parameters to tweak it.
  • Duplicati: had mixed results, long beta status…, was discarded

Haven’t tried this one but seen it active and gaining traction over the past years:

1 Like

I’m very happy to see this question from you, Stephdl. I’m a fan of both software. BackupPC might not be updated often, but honestly, it works perfectly. Once set up, it has never failed me once. UrBackup, on the other hand, has made a couple of mistakes when restoring Windows PC images, but all in all, the backup and file restore work well and are very configurable. If I could make a wish, I would want both on NS8. :wink:

4 Likes