Which Backup do you use?

Hi guys

I want to open this thread to talk about which engine of backup tipically you use beetween:

rsync, restic or duplicity and why you choose one over the other?

In my experience i have some problem if on nethserver i configure 2 task for example:
rsync at 1:00 pm and restic at 11:00 pm
Sometimes one of these stop working…

@Denis_Pollini

Hi Denis

For my clients and at home I usually use Dupilcity - for the simple reason it works, and shows on the old Server Manager and on the newer Cockpit (If configured with the old Server Manager).

This usually points to a NAS.

As all these Machines are VMs on Proxmox, I generally use Proxmox Backups to do more backups (eg twice daily or 4x / day).

PBS is so much faster!

But despite PBS, I still run a local NethServer Backup job on all NethServers (Duplicity).

My 2 cents
Andy

I use rsync to backup the data to an external hard disk as the primary backup.

As a secondary backup, I’m effectively syncing the files to an AWS S3 Bucket. This may be a bit overkill, but it did save me once when the external backup disk failed and I needed to do a restore.

The cool things about use Rsync is when i need to restore a file, simple access the destination folder et voila.

For restore single file or folder with Restyc and Duplicity i think is little bit more complex…

@Andy_Wismer

What do you mean with “and shows on the old Server Manager and on the newer Cockpit (If configured with the old Server Manager).” ??

If i need to create backup with dup i need tu use the old server manager? is not possible to do in Cockpit?

Since I backup to an online storageprovider over webdav, I want to be sure data is encrypted before it is sent to the online storage.
Therefor I use restic.
And as protocol I use webdav since that is a convenient method available for the online storage I use (Stack from TransIP in the netherlands) TransIP | STACK - Jouw online cloud opslag
It’s based on owncloud.

@Denis_Pollini

The old Server Manager and the new Cockpit can both configure Duplicity. However, the old server manager has a static name, the new one ca use any name.

So if it’s created in the old one, it will show up in both!

My 2 cents
Andy

Ok good to know @Andy_Wismer

Mostly like @Andy_Wismer I virtualize all of my NS installs through XCP-NG and perform daily/weekly snapshots & delta backups to my TrueNAS servers that are then pushed out to BackBlaze B2 buckets.

Within NethServer we use Duplicity to a local NFS share on TrueNAS that also then gets pushed to BackBlaze B2.

1 Like

Another thing important in my opinion:

For restore single file/folder how do yo do it? In Cockpit with this application Restore Data is difficult to restore file:

For example if the customer doesn’t remember the correct path to search for the lost file or folder is complex, if i type the name of the folder i get this alert:

Proxmox Backup Server for fast daily full VM/CT’s snapshots backup (retention plans, verification, cross-server sync, mail notifications, free space alerts, …)

restic (with rclone backend) as cross-platform retention-planned muti-threaded backup engine for already compressed data.

BorgBackup for other casual data (zstd compressing, retention plan) but not for Windows now, and it’s single-threaded, not so fast.

All three things above are effectively deduplicating data by independant unique encrypted chunks, ready to save into external public cloud storage, then,

rclone as multi-threaded and cloud-ready replace for rsync.

1 Like