What to backup before wipe and reload

System version
NethServer release 7.6.1810 (final)
Kernel release 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64

My nethserver got really jacked up when I moved both the internal and external IP address because of a location change. I have gone through a bunch of troubleshooting and various fixes recommended here for the “Account provider generic error: SSSD exit code 1” error to no avail. So I’m going to wipe and reload it.

I have the following packages installed:
Backup
Bandwidth monitor
Basic firewall
DPI
Email
Fail2ban
File server
FTP
IPS
Ipsec
Mariadb
Openvpn
Pop3 connect
Pop3 proxy
Reverse proxy
Round cube
SMTP proxy
Statistics
Ups
Web filter
Web proxy
Web server

I know how to backup the config, user and web server data, but my biggest concern is getting the email configuration and data for both of the hosted domains and then getting it put back on the new server so email works AND I have all of my emails.

If it makes it easier to do this I do have access to another hard disk and can install the new OS on it and have the original disk to copy stuff from. Is there a handy dandy guide that will help me navigate through this?

Thanks

How do you want to do this?
With Nethserver Backup you can save and restore data and config. You can also configure, what you want to save. A description how to configure it ,is at the docs:

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/backup_customization.html

Mails you can store with imapsync, the mail-configuration should be at the configuration backup.
Your hosted domains you can save by ftp and if you have databases you can use phpmyadmin from stephdl or do an mysqldump at the shell.

I would recommend this, if something doesn’t went fine, you can go back to the old disk and try again.

2 Likes

Hi

I’d second this.

I’d use a second disk, and keep the original one as a last resort (Back to square one…) in case another hiccup occurs…

You could always - simply copy or rsync the mail folders afterwards - and if needed, reset the perms on those folders. Or any other missing folder, for that matter.

As the old saying goes: All roads lead to rome, just choose the shortest, easiest and safest one…

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Do you have a full backup before the location change? Maybe the process of updating Ip Addreses can be improved for “no loss” of services.

2 Likes

No I don’t have one, it didn’t occur to me that I would have these issues just by changing my ip’s. Oh dopey me🤪.