What is the problem with IPv6 - I have Nethserver running with IPv6

I have now looked at various threads and don’t understand why IPv6 support is not integrated into the GUI (old/new).

I am happy to help with testing and can also offer general help with this topic.

I am running IPv6 with the following services without any problems, but the configuration has to be done partly on the command line.

Services that I am currently running with IPv6 without problems:

• Nethserver 7.7.1908 Nethgui (old) and Cockpit (new) UI
  • Dnsmasq
  • Samba (AD Container, File server, DNS)
  • Mail (SMTP, ActiveSync, IMAP, POP3)
  • rspamd
  • Nextcloud
  • Roundcube

I will complete the list and add appropriate logs and screenshots.

DNS Server IPv6 addresses cannot be set in the GUI using this command it also works on command line. The IP addresses must of course be exchanged for your own.

config setprop dns NameServers 192.168.xxx.xxx,fd00::d1ad:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

Shorewall IPv6 Support

There seems to be some IPv6 interested people here and I would be happy about suggestions and goal oriented contributions. My goal would be to test the existing services for IPv6 and to show configuration possibilities for IPv6 to support a possible IPv6 integration.

8 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Sometimes the work starts because someone started to make a howto, asking some guidances, sharing a beer at FOSDEM. Indeed a list of services that are compatibles and how to configure them is a good starting point.

1 Like

I tried to do a pure IPv6 installation last night. Unfortunately, I failed directly at the update or the installation of further packages because the Nethserver repository does not speak IPv6.

[root@ns10 ~]# yum -y update
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrorlist.nethserver.org/?release=7&repo=ce-base&arch=x86_64&nsrelease=7.7.1908 error was
14: curl#6 - "Could not resolve host: mirrorlist.nethserver.org; Unknown error"

Since my two IPv6 installations have been running in dual stack mode for a while (productively) I wanted to start all over again to be able to take a closer look at every step.

So I will do the next documentation attempt in the dual stack.

Thank you @BitStream, this is a good starting point!

I think the hardest part are not the normal services, but the network stack and the firewall configuration.
Then, we should move to the UI part and support the new IP format on all validators and input fields.
While the work on the UI can be done in small steps, the network and the firewall parts must be implemented all together.

It requires a huge amount of work (4-5 months of man-hours? maybe more) and for now we can’t afford such effort. But as I said many times, we are willing to help anyone who want to try to implement such thing.
Honestly I’m not afraid by the work itself, but I’m worried about the regressions we will encounter for sure.

Is the project waiting for some external implementation into cockpit code?

No, we can implement ourselves, but it seems to me that they are not pushing the IPv6 implementation neither :slight_smile:

That’s not a problem in my opinion. CentOS and Shorewall are fully IPv6 capable, if it weren’t for that I wouldn’t be able to run an IPv6 dual stack here.

My biggest problem is that I can’t set the settings in the UI and have to do the configuration on the command line.

Sorry, I wasn’t enough clear.
The problem is inside the thousand of lines which configure CentOS and Shorewall automatically, the NethServer/esmith layer.
To have a working UI, you need to update the controllers, scripts and libraries which actually do the real job (just a couple of random pointers: nethserver-base/lib/perl at master · NethServer/nethserver-base · GitHub, nethserver-base/root/etc/e-smith/events/actions at master · NethServer/nethserver-base · GitHub, nethserver-firewall-base/NethServer at master · NethServer/nethserver-firewall-base · GitHub)

1 Like

No problem, now I get it. :smiley:

1 Like