What are you working on? Feb 2021

After our FOSDEM meetup I had the opportunity to go and finish this network/rack mount job for an SMB client.

4 Likes

I am looking for some IP6 things to understand them better

1 Like

I was trying to get a RPM built of Caddy, but took care of that yesterday:
https://repo.familybrown.org/nethserver/7/repoview/caddy.html

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome and really looking forward to being part of this community.

Right now we are looking at replacing our current mail server onboard our sailing vessels with NethServer.
Due to the high latency and packet loss environment with vsat gateways we hopefully looking to create some custom modules to assist with storing, holding, releasing, compressing email messages.
This could be adapting our existing in-house built configuration to working with NethServer mail.

always open to suggestions and ideas from the community

6 Likes

Hi @alefattorini Hope you are doing well.

I am IT administrator in a Production company in India. We have Microsoft Server AD in one of our unit, and for another unit I decided to go for the NS7+Proxmox discarding Zentyal due to community support I got here specially from @Andy_Wismer (he literally guided me step by step) for setting up NS7 AD for our second unit quickly by just following him. Some how I fear, that I was taking Andy precious time, by barrage of questions.

The learning curve was steep, and I have been constantly reading ever since. I am fortunate, to peek inside the working, advanced and well managed setups of him and few of his Clients - Proxmox, NS7, Zabbix, HomeAssistant. NAS etc etc, thanks to Andy.

Looking forward, for the Zabbix and ERPNext implementation on LXC of NS, OPNSense ( I have good experience in PFSense), TUTS on Raspbarian Board, Proxmox Backup Server (PBS 1.0), Wiregaurd VPN (https://www.wireguard.com).

4 Likes

Not sure where I’m going to go with this, but I’m playing with this:

and this:

and this:

2 Likes

Nice, Pls keep us updating

Build a Tiny Certificate Authority For Your Homelab

This part seems to work just fine, minus the hardware RNG (it hasn’t arrived yet, isn’t due to ship until next month). Configuring Caddy to use the local Pi CA rather than Let’s Encrypt was just a matter of two lines in the Caddyfile, and it happily obtained a cert. Now I see this:
…and assuming Caddy isn’t completely silly (and it’s generally pretty smart wrt ACME stuff), it will automatically renew every day.

Obviously, this requires adding the tiny CA cert to your system trust store, but that’s pretty easy, though their version requires the step CLI utility to be installed:
step ca bootstrap --ca-url="https://ca.yourdomain" --fingerprint (Root CA fingerprint)
step certificate install /path/to/root_ca.crt

3 Likes

Screaming against HPE USB Key Tool, not willing to recognize not 1, not 2 but even 3 different USB drives. (holy kamoly!)
I’m gonna try again without RDP connected to a Server (and drives connected).
My little ESXi needs some updates.

Edit. A clumsy reboot later, the tool works as intended. What the Pack???

2 Likes

This:

3 Likes

Target watt level?
Are you gonna use a battery buffer for take advantage of temporary surplus?

Those are 250W panels, so I should peak out at 2kW.

Yes, that’s a big part of why I’m doing this–I want a big UPS for my server rack. I have 6.5 kWh of LeFePO4 batteries on their way that I’m going to connect to the inverter.

1 Like

Keep them quite well vented. Lithium batteries can become a too much hot ladies.

LiFePO4 is reported to be much safer than most other lithium chemistries. Power density suffers, naturally, but they’re quite safe–and have a much better cycle life than lead-acid.

I posted a few weeks back that the CA seems to work just fine for TLS certs, and that continues to be the case. I’ve shelved Gluu for the time being in favor of LemonLDAP::NG, which I’ve discussed more here:

I’m a little unclear on how to use the CA to issue both TLS and SSH certs, but once I get that piece figured out, I think I’ll have what I need to put them together.

1 Like

Oh man sounds great!

ahahaha sounds great!

I am working on a new desk

between this walls without a frame

we have something similar with bracket on the radiator

Hope next weekend it will be ready in the first parts …

Or you use the “free” energie to build Bitcoins… that stores some money :wink: