We need to change our behaviour here at NethServer Community

Hi MadOp,
Yes the initial feeling is that it is strange :smile:
Give it a try for a couple of weeks and then you will get accustomed with it.
I find it easy now to use it and it is more ā€œliveā€ than a traditional forum board.

The ā€œliveā€ feature is the one that I like about Discourse

I understand pretty well your concerns, but trust me (and trust @Ctek as well) itā€™s matter of time and community is going to be your second home. The platform is called discourse and Iā€™m sure that all old forums are going to be upgraded to platforms like this.

Itā€™s an attempt to reimagine what a modern Internet discussion platform should be today, in a world of ubiquitous smartphones, tablets, Facebook, and Twitter.

Try it on mobile too :smile:
The icing on the cake, itā€™s open source and super cool! I hope you will feel comfortable very soon.

I disliked Discourse, I was really against it and I was fighting to stay within the old mailing list system.

But @alefattorini twisted my armā€¦and he was totally right! Discourse does a really good job, and is much much better than a normal ML. Of course the tool is not enough, the people are the real important part and having a great Community Manager like Alessio make a really great difference! :smiley:

5 Likes

Good, maybe too shameless but good. Money are coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was just me. The new ā€˜standardā€™ web design/interface is quite irritating. I can never find anything without endless clicking> no thatā€™s not it> maybe this? click> nope> argh! just label things! get rid of vague icons that you have to click just to figure out what they are! rant! rant! Iā€™m old! (no, I really am)

This is not a NS thing. When 1and1 went to a similar design I lost hours trying to work. One plus is the design does bypass language barriers.

You can reply by email as well! Discourse guys are working to Improve the user experience for email-only users :smile:

Iā€™m keen to know what these guys think: @web.smf @abazaba @Nicola_Nicolai @rowihei @Mepata @enrilor @enricobacis @T_C @Adam_S @Nexus @apradoc @haliparotin @macwunder @Walter_Schoenly @AbsyntH @syntaxerrormmm @xcod @Vinny74

In comparison to several other similar software solution/platforms I would say that NethServer has developed a superior community and I wouldnā€™t say that it is solely due to technical innovation. It looks like discourse will be a good addition to communication within the community, but I would say that the biggest difference between this and others is the human factor. The obviously very involved community manager, and the courteous user base. The question that is important to me is ā€œhow to keep that going?ā€ How do we encourage natural good will within the community?

6 Likes

Hi all guys, as requested I would like to share my own 2 cents.

First, an apology. Unfortunately my presence here is much more scarce than I would like to. This is an amazing, supportive and friendly community, maybe the best one Iā€™ve seen so far by these criteria, and it really deserves at least half of the love developers, community manager and other people involved feel and show for their work, for NethServer and for newcomers. Thank you very much for your hard work, everyone :slight_smile: This is really appreciated, and I think this IS the distinctive mark, so far, of the NethServer community.

Another distinctive mark is, as I may see, the lack of time of a lot of people that would like to be involved more (myself included). And this is a pity, unfortunately.

I second that easy-to-follow and simple (as ā€œless technicalā€) guides (read: HOWTOs) will surely improve the feeling of a newcomer towards NethServer and its community. This is actually a big point and I know this would cost a lot of effort to get nailed. I would like to propose to publish these HOWTOs not on Discourse but on a public wiki: usually wikis ease the collaboration, requiring much more ā€œquick and dirtyā€ jobs like cleaning out the layout of the page, doing some proof-reading, etc. that are much lighter (in terms of time involved and energies to be consumed). Small work, potentially much more people that can do that, and again much more possibilities that someones decides to dedicate more time to NethServer and its community.

Regarding the community platform: I donā€™t generally like forums or BBs because they are too fast-paced, requires quickness in writing and expressing your thoughts (which is not always a good idea), easily misused (especially when someone tries to implement documentation with these tools and then someone else hijacks the howto for his own support needs), and all these reasons make discussions/information harder to follow and find. Much more with Discourse, since it minimizes all the artifacts of a BB and focus on the quickness of the message.

Still, I think anyone who posts here is polite, tidy and follows the general netiquette/indications on how to post (this is usually a big negative point when dealing with newcomers on communities). And additionally, Alessio and the other people at Nethesis do their best (with success, I may say) in splitting/reordering the discussions that somehow managed to escape the right path. So maybe Discourse is not to be trashed, yet :wink:

Iā€™m going through hard times if I am to find other negative points of the community, really. I think all was done until now was done with love and respect and this is really good. I think right now easy documentation for newcomers is the goal to achieve, to allow growth in the community.

Thank you again guys and keep up the good work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What do think about such wiki?
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php

Yes, for now itā€™s hiddenā€¦ But with a little more, work, it will be shiny

a simple menu in the top of discourse could be enough, @alefattorini what about of this

5 Likes

It is a good starting point. I know you guys already had one :wink: Iā€™ve seen also some materials more or less ready.

Done, youā€™re welcome :smile:

1 Like

Thank your for your words, especially I like your mention of the ā€œhuman factorā€ :relieved:
For me, we should just encourage the behaviour we want to see and keep doing it.
We need to create a strong sense of community and this should be a place where feel comfortable discussing the most difficult, geekiest, or most hardcore topics in our space :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are always in time to redeem you :slight_smile: we miss you here,
Seriously, thanks for your words I very appreciate it, youā€™re always too generous!

I totally agree with you, Easy-to-follow and simple (as ā€œless technicalā€) guides are currently super important and very requested by several people, so everyone is welcome to step forward and lend a hand with it.

Hi guys

Iā€™m returning from other worlds :open_mouth:

About the Project School Intranet with Nethserver i can still salvage some points and advantages to apply with the support of our OS.

The server template has been redefined with Proxmox VE. As UTM they are using PFsense, but at some point pfsense compared with Nethserver for this role. The reason for the choice PFsense, among others, the developer likes FreeBSD. (Note : The developer resigned , so the project is under our responsibility in the Project Coordination Office)

Well tribe. I 've been away but not far . :innocent:
Finally a colleague lent me a workstation to mount my little test NS at home and review it from the P4 so Iā€™ve used so far.
I know that in this construction have not been alone, but other obligations called me and I had to be away for a moment.
Iā€™m back. I hope the Nethserverians forces :sunglasses: from ā€œPunto Fijoā€ @jgjimenezs manifest again to fight with Debian hypnosis :dizzy_face: that predominates in my city , Caracas.

Greetings and blessings

1 Like

Please let me know bout your tests, Iā€™d like to see your more involved here :slight_smile: you can make this community and project awesome. How can we convince your colleagues?

1 Like

This is really interesting. We thought of virtualizing NethServer also on our deployments to better use the resources on a high-level server, but this never happened until now because our servers hasnā€™t been high level mainly :wink: but I cannot exclude this would happen in the future.

This reminds me of another project, where they wanted to use NethServer as authentication/authorization endpoint and ZeroShell for the network part (the person in charge of this needs to manage thin access-points which can be configured quite easily with ZeroShell). We are working to collaborate with this people, so if all will be good I will contact you for sure :wink:

1 Like

A bit off-topic but Iā€™m super-interested in :slight_smile:
Please keep us in touch opening a new topic! :grinning:

I want to bump this discussion! Because there are still many expert readers here ļæ¼ like
@mepata @ibinetwork @Greg @sraellis @pelo @xcod @Renan_Azedo_de_Olive @tchenier @vasya @acsel10
They know pretty well our community (reading a lot of posts!!) and Iā€™d like to hear also their voice!

@telekomiker sorry for the late response, how is it going in Germany?
@Flint do you need a hand with adding email to your server?