Warning: can't write entry into mtab (SFTP as an alternative?)

I’ve some 50GB free accounts on box.com since ages, exploiting some “promotions” launched when iOS was not having box.net app. The service could be suitable for the size and speed, but price is not that interesting.

I’ve also nudged cubbit.io for adding WebDAV access for the service. Hope that someone will nudge them soon for implement the protocol on their nice infrastructure.

May be related to this issue: Sftp chroot is needed?

And I can’t judge if that would really be the solution I should apply

Sorry, I just realize that I have moved from the WebDAV problem to the SFTP problem. It seems a bit confusing

I mean that NS tries to log in the server through SSH and launch some shell commands before going to SFTP. That implies that the storage is “smart” and allows that, which is not the case for most storage offers I believe.

1 Like

…and with your suggestion SFTP chroot howto you can work around the problem and still use such servers?
I believe not, because I have to use credentials from the remote server.

Nope : that howto was server side (NS side), to lock a distant SFTP user into a home folder. Here the problem is storage side, which doesn’t offer features or rights that the NS client expects.

2 Likes

The warning is nothing to be concerned about. If a newer version of davfs2 package makes its way into CentOS it will be resolved. More info at:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=58138#options

2 Likes

FWIW, current version of davfs2 installed on a fully updated NethServer davfs2-1.4.7-6.el7.x86_64

1 Like

it seems that centos7 has to be updated since 2020

You might try a newer version of davfs2, e.g. 1.5.6. It will be able to handle situations where /etc/mtab is a symbolic link to a kernel file system and not writable.

Maybe is the “usual” management of CentOS: only patches/updates, not “upgrades”.

On CentOS 8 you have 1.5.6 but not on CentOS 7 (which is more or less like this since I coded the webDAV support for backups).

1 Like

Maybe another webdav provider? I use stack from transip (transip.nl/stack). Unfortunately their website in currently only available in Dutch, but with Goole translate it should be possible to get the idea of what it is and does.
I use it with WebDav for over 4 years now as backup location for my NethServer based VPS’s
ps: when you have an account, you can change the interface into English…

1 Like

Dutch isn’t an issue :blush: I’m Belgian :blush:

Good pointer I will have a look !

IDK which people loves more beer among these two…

That looks good, I will book it. I live 50 km from the Dutch border, in the Ruhrgebiet.

Thank you, Marko

Thank for the hint…can you point me, please? Perhaps I’m blind

STACK seem the offer for… disk space over internet, @capote ( don’t know a word about ductch but…)

the middle one I booked

The price is for the first 6 months, after that it will revert to the ‘normal’ price of EUR5,- per month for 1TB diskspace.
btw, the service is based on owncloud…

1 Like