Virtual host: PHP version differs from Cockpit to NethGUI

Not related to this subject but related to Cockpit & NethGUI or Cockpit vs NethGUI.
Virtual hosts:
In NethGUI, I can choose the version of php up to 7.4., in Cockpit, only up to 7.3.
Even if in NethGUI is selected version 7.4, in Cockpit is shown 5.4. and the host has 7.4.
If in NethGUI is selected version 7.4 and in Cockpit I select 7.3, the host will have 7.3 …

1 Like

@stephdl could you please take a look? :wink:

1 Like

well it is a design choice

Nethgui uses my scl module with up to scl php74
Cockpit uses the default rh-php collection, but at this day the version is rh-php73, in a future it could change I hope.

With cockpit I cannot do like I did before with NethGui, it is not possible to easily push your code inside an official package.

That it was the power of Nethgui, maybe it is because @davidep let the possibility to a developer to hack the code that I came a developer, who knows :smiley:

Cockpit is used by the enterprise and the community so we have to make a choice and for example the cockpit apache dashboard is not aware that you have installed scl phpX from my module (or my mariadb modules). We could do it of course because it is matter what to glob in bash script.
In the same way since you have manually installed my SCL PHP module we could let you able to use it also in the apache cockpit, at least for PHP74 because at this time we have no solution for official scl solution.

However except for PHP74, I do not see a lot of interest. Actually if you try to set the php version with cockpit or nethgui, the priority is set to cockpit, so the nethgui setting is not used for the php version.

I do not plan to update nethserver-php-scl module, I think the major (good ?) code has been imported inside cockpit and it is well :-?

My only guess is why the community is not asking for php74 inside cockpit.

5 Likes

The Nextcloud Password module will not update unless php 7.4 is installed. That is why I would like to use it.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Same issue here with PHP 7.4 used for wordpress! Can set it with nethgui but wrong displayed in Cockpit…

it is not an eastern egg, you have installed my module and you use the remi repository, cockpit uses the official software collection

I added a warning but maybe you missed it

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=php-scl

1 Like

you did a great job stephdl and I’m very happy that it is working so well! Yes I did not remember this warnig any more. This is not a real problem as long as you remeber :-). I just had this problem now and as so often the solution/answer was already here.

2 Likes