Update Nextcloud under Nethserver

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: Nextcloud

Hello altogether,

I installed a Nethserver with (among others) Nextcloud. After the updates I have to adapt the file

/usr/share/nextcloud/config/config.php

to be able to access the Dyndns domain (customer.dyndns.biz).

To not always have to add the domain name, I created a config.php.customer with that information and replaced the config file now… bad idea… error from my side… I did not save the orginal… :frowning:

When I now try to access nextcloud, the screen says, it would like to update to version 27.0.1 of nextcloud… but this does not work, because (I assume) in the overwritten config.php there is the version 25.0.5.1 and it is not allowed to jump over probably version 26.x.

How can I fix the version chaos, that I produced? Is there a way to find out the real version? Or which version should I download to install version 26.x first to then be able to jump to version 27.0.1? Any idea would be greatly appreciated…

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Frank

Small addition:

1. yum list nextcloud shows nextcloud.noarch 18.0.0-1.el7
  2. In the GUI under “Applications” the version is 1.22.1

Can I upgrade Nextcloud via its built-in updater?
It is not recommended. NethServer manages updates through RPM packages.

“Nextcloud will be updated to version xx.x.x” message is shown after an upgrade
This could be due to a partial upgrade done by the rpm packages. The specific issue might have been reflected on server logs. By running occ upgrade command you’ll either finish the upgrade process or get some errors showing the problem:

occ upgrade

Check out: Exception: Updates between multiple major versions are unsupported

occ --version (might show current installed version, while config.php can show the version that was installed previously if the upgrade did not succeed).
Either way, occ upgrade will tell.

Maybe you could use the nextcloud settings on cockpit page to set the custom virtualhost / subdomain or allowed connections.

use rpm -qa *nextcloud* to find the installed version.
At the bottom of the spec file you can find the changelog with the correspondence between the rpm package version and the nextcloud version.

Thank you very much…

occ --version shows 27.0.1

occ upgrade shows:

Setting log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
Update failed
Maintenance mode is kept active
Resetting log level

And the maintenance mode is now also shown on the webpage.

rpm -qa nextcloud shows

nethserver-nextcloud-1.22.1-1.ns7.noarch

Thanks a lot… and best regards,

Frank

Comparing the outpout of the command rpm -qa with the spec file… there should be already the latest version installed.

Can there be a lot of damage when I just enter the version number ‘27.0.1’ in config.php?

occ --version and rpm are reporting the version currently installed (even if access to nextcloud it is not working).
The old version (previous installed version) usually remains on config.php file until the upgrade is successful.

I had the impression that occ upgrade told us both the previous version we are upgrading from and the version we are trying to (successfully) upgrade to. Maybe it does with the -v or verbose parameter (or I might just not remember as well as I thought ; ).

Better follow the guide I pointed earlier:

1 Like

Solved, thank you Marc!

I followed the procedure in the guide with downgrade and update… thanks a lot!

1 Like