Thin Client System

Hello Community!

Is there anyone willing/capable to point me at a useful guide on how to create a thin client system using Nethserver as tftp/pxe server?
There are already solutions out there withing the Linux Terminal Server Project, and there is already the EDUBUNTU distrubution with all set up for use. However, I would like to integrate that with the Nethserver suite in order to have a single technology point, server side.
Nethserver can deploy CentOS via PXE, but I would like to serve thin clients instead, and possibly having the choice for other distributions than CentOS.
Searching around only led me to guides on how to deploy full OS to machines using PXE, or how to use the LTSP system which is a bit old.

I will appreciate any help.
Best,
Elfo

It would be possible, see https://wiki.contribs.org/PXE. That will give you an idea what needs to be done :wink:

It would be great to have an LTSP kind of option available for NethServer, although I must say that running LTSP is done on a server with aGUI installed. NethServer is not such a distro. In order to get that going you have to install a desktop environment on NethServer. I am not sure this is very productive.
I would rather opt for a distribution that
Maybe a smoother approach will be to use a distribution that can easily be used in a NethServer environment. You could choose either of the LTSP supported distro’s: http://wiki.ltsp.org/wiki/Installation

About Edubuntu: this is deprecated/not maintained since 14.04. Maybe you can check out what applications Educuntu has and install those on a new(er) distribution.

I am not sure if there is an alternative for LTSP in the Linux world if it comes to Terminal Services like infrastructure? Are there any opensource VDI-like projects?
maybe openthinclient is an option? http://openthinclient.org/de/openthinclient/

1 Like

That guide looks like a worth to try. Thanks for your input.
Yes Edubuntu is deprecated and that’s one more reason why I am exploring other solutions.

@Robb thanks for the explanation about the need for a desktop environment. I had overlooked that. I need to study further to make this work.

IMO it would make sense to have LTSP running on a separate physical server. LTSP does need quite some memory because every process will run on the server. When you use a separate server you do not compromise your other services on your network.
So installing LTSP on a server and adding that server to NethServer Samba4 AD would make it possible to use your AD accounts with LTSP.
I have used LTSP in the past, but that was installed on Ubuntu, not RH/CentOS/Fedora based.
On the other hand, it is very well possible to add an Ubuntu device to NethServer Samba4 domain.

1 Like

Thre are more solutions abaout Thin Clients than LTSP

I try

it is a nice x11 version 4 Termnal Services
but now the problem ist real thin Clients are out :frowning:
Thera are some PI solution 4 as a thinclient

Why the reaison are the Web-Browser all big browsers usese the grafic HW direct for rendering thats sad.
I will try a Mid Client, Browser, MailClienst and are local other “Services” runnig serverbased. Like Nextcloud and OnlyOffice…

Booting first stepps are like Thinclients (if you like with smardcard). Is the software on the Mid-Clint uptodate the “local” boot drive will be uses (64-128G is mutch 2 big). When local Storage is not upto date or corupted the Client take a new Client-Image.

Some “Thinclients” had a good performance to run as a Mid-client

Hello Rob

what you mean is athaticatihan before booting. The concept is easy booting from local net via option 66,150 DHCP and TFTP. Than autentificate the User and the Client with a very small Linux or direct in Grub2. If the user is known and the client to (Password or smardcard fingerprint … ) starting a crossboot. Idea an some parts a coming form Coreboot and Qemu. With Crossboot strating the ClientOS.