Testing out Proxmox, wish me luck. :P

I was familiar with hyperV and that was it…

I am not confident enought to install nethserver as firewall under proxmox and replace my current working servers, but i will try OCS - GLPI - Zabbix - Remotely.

Maybe bitwarden too… lets see how much time i got to study and test out this! :slight_smile:

wish me luck :smiley: haha

I ran SME under Proxmox and it worked well. My Neth server is running under Proxmox, but it’s Contabo’s Proxmox as a VPS provider. If you have multiple NICs in the system, it isn’t hard to assign one to your Neth VM if you choose, but I do prefer my firewall being on dedicated hardware.

1 Like

I am only doing this becouse every two words out of @Andy_Wismer four are Proxmox… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, i need OCS, GLPI, Remotely, Zabbix, UrBackup… and OCS its a big NO-NO in NethServer currently.

I will have a dedicated box for NethServer, i like it too much.
Not prepared to switch to OPNSense right now (another andy idea), but this company requires OCS (too many stations), and a backup server, thats where proxmox will help me.

Btw, any ideas where can i run all that in terms of OS? I Think Fedora 34 Server is a good choice :slight_smile:

@ssabbath

Hi Walter

I’d suggest having a closer look at LXC options for certain stuff. Running an LXC is MUCH more efficient than a VM. A VM can provide 60-80% of native power for a VM, emulation of hardware does need resources. A LXC can provide between 97-99% of the native host for emulation!

It does need careful planning, especially where databases are involved, the larger, the better the planning.

Installing any Linux OS as LXC takes only about a minute until login with root!

But I do have VERY good examples (all working for 3 years plus!)…

One example is SuiteCRM (Last OpenSource fork of SugarCRM), for about 10-30 people. Normally, on a Linux box, for that kind of expected performance I’d have at least 8 GB RAM allocated. I started the LXC with 2 GB RAM, and it worked extremly well. After 2 years, i doubled the RAM, it’s still running:

This was a “tuned” TurnKey LXC Template for SuiteCRM. (Available automatically in Proxmox, about 5 minutes install!).

I’d suggest Debian as long term (more or less with up to 5 years) instead of Fedora, but if you’re more comfortable with Fedora, try that! Proxmox itself is Debian based…

OCS (I’m familiar with OCS & GLPI from SME times!) is something intended for long term usage - like generally most monitoring tools including Zabbix or (shudder) Nagios!

If possible, go for ZFS usage, the installer makes ZFS very easy.
I’d even suggest only using the installer to create the system ZFS (rpool), and creating other (Storage/Backups) pools later on in the GUI. Leave space on disks for swap (strongly suggested!).

If you need any dedicated help, don’t hesitate to PM me!
I can assist eg using Anydesk / Skype (Voice)…

I don’t use any of Zucki’s stuff, so no WhatsApp!

Good luck, a lot of fun, and a sucessful eye opener for the “new” world!
Virtualization is definately the way to go.

My 2 cents
Andy

In a world without walls and fences,
who needs Windows or Gates?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The LXC does look good indeed, i was just finishing uploading some ISO… i will start with the LXC stuff:

Debian hu? Maybe Ubuntu Server, i like how much support Ubuntu has :stuck_out_tongue: but i will try debian out too.

ZFS is no good in RAID i read that somewhere, i will put proxmox under a RAID1 for sure.

Thanks for the help and the “eye-openings” infos, Andy as always!

I am only with my company behind zucky stuff lol, like whatsapp or instagram(marketing)… only for work.

Edit: I just realized i can download templates directly from proxmox… just awesome. Nethserver needs something like that lol.

@ssabbath

ZFS can easily handle RAID - almost anything a hardware or fake-raid can offer, ZFS has similiar (but better).

I use mostly ZFS-Mirror, it’s equal to a conventional RAID1.

You must NEVER use ZFS on any form of hardware RAID!
You will have disk corruption, sooner than later!
For a lot of boxes using AHCI is the better option than the (fake-) RAID in hardware.

An old HP Proliant ML 110 with 2*1 TB Disks for System, and an additional 2 * 2 TB for local storage, both in ZFS Mirror.

As to templates: scroll down lower to discover the load of TurnKey templates…
You can use them as a starter, or to test something out…

NethServer and OPNsense (Neth: Prod, OPNsense: Test), both in Proxmox:

Both VMs are actually running of “shared Storage” - a TrueNAS box…
This provides for very fast live migrations between my Proxmox Hosts - 90 seconds!

I’m using a LAN - and a dedicated storage / cluster network to spped up networking.

ZFS in a 2-Disk Box with ZFS Mirror (RAID1):

This HP Proliant had a RAID card - I ripped that out and connected the disks directly to the SAS/SATA onboard interfaces - ZFS works well!

PS: Making a snapshot on this very old hardware is actually way fatser than the (fast) Web GUI can display it!

1 Like

The HP server i will work on has a true raid card i just installed proxmox in a single disk, just to try stuff out and see what happends… anyway, time to study some more! :slight_smile:

ZFS can often beat a RAID card flat!
Well worth it!

An always useful advice, @ssabbath. RTFM.

Not because I’m “teaching” you something. Not because you’re not skilled, expert, specialized enough and I am. Because i’m not.

More posts you read, more documentation you browse and understand, more data you put into your brain, more information you will have to avoid issues, design better, design “simpler” (not easier), solve problems, being “better” into the next iteration.

N00b is not a fault, it’s a state. All we are newbies in something and there’s nothing wrong about that. Who reads documentation, tries, wants to understand, wants to improve… won’t stay n00b forever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pike

Life is learning - not only in IT related stuff!

Once you realize that, that’s when the fun starts!

:slight_smile:

RTFM = Read the FINE Manual… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree, currently reading and watching some…

Proxmox Video Tutorials good stuff in here.

And yes andy, when its a totally crappy raid card without cache and other stuff i would choose linux raid always :slight_smile:

This one i will get those specs, but ZFS really looks good once you read into it.

2 Likes

@ssabbath

When you start to read about stuff like zfs-send / zfs-recieve / zfs-sync, that’s the File-System doing those tasks, not the OS like in other systems! I find that amazing!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like