Template custom or new db configuration key?

Hi guys!

I’ve a question for you, just a kind of pool… on your opinion when is better to make a template custom or choose to create a new key record in the db configuration of NethServer?

I’m in this situation: I’ve installed a new ODBC driver which is not available in the standard NethServer release. I’m in doubt about to use a template custom, which can indicate me that this configuration is a personalized setting, or create a new db key with the params for my odbc connection. In the last option I’m worry to not be warned about the customization in the future.

So the question should be simplified: if exist a type in the db configuration, Should it always be used for setting a personalization?

Probably a general role don’t exist, but I’m interested in looking around about your thought.

PS: for the moment I’ve choose to use a new odbc key record in NethServer database for my iSeries ODBC connection. :wink:

The custom template is easy to track, it is a directory in the file system and could include a comment that explain what it does. A manually added record in configuration DB lacks these things.

1 Like

Thank you @davidep for you reply… so I’ve detected the utility of template-custom but I’ve choose the wrong way to not use it… :blush:

So I gather that the db configuration should be used to configure standard params. If the new key is used by a no-standard NethServer package I should prefer a template-custom for its setting. Could it be right?

I can’t get the differences between what you called standard and non-standard packages. (Edit)

I’d rather say:

• configuration DB keys comes with RPMs
  • they are used by actions, templates and, why not, custom templates
1 Like

Every key/prop should allow a range of valid values. If you need a value out of that range a custom template seems more appropriate to me.

Thank you @davidep for your explanation.

So I’ve have understood that I should not be worried about using a custom template, but I should bay attention to non use in the custom template a key yet set in the database configuration. :blush: