Team wiki collaboration

I have been looking for a great wiki and documentation system for me and my team, somewhere to write some notes for everyone. I came across a few of them

If anyone else has other suggestions, go ahead.
Getoutline

Paperwork

Touted as the open-source, self-hosted alternative to services like Evernote®, Microsoft OneNote® or Google Keep

Interesting. Could you compare these with the current DokuWiki module?

Dokuwiki is a great tool, if you are creating front facing wiki pages, those for external parties, clients etc.

When it comes to internal use case scenarios, i wouldn’t use it for that case scenario.

Also, there are some times, you just need a simple document storage and editing functions which have support for collaboration, and allows you to invite users into it.

Here are screnshorts for the

Paperwork states their software is not usable you need to wait V2, for outline the installation seems tricky

working to build a new version of dokuwiki, I saw that in the third repository you have a lot plugin tagged note

I think i just found the holy grail of what i need exactly.
https://leanote.com/index#

Seems to have a number of great functionalities. even more than waht evernote offers, and is open source.
Github repo https://github.com/leanote/leanote

Installation https://github.com/leanote/leanote/wiki/leanote-binary-installation-on-Mac-and-Linux-(En)

Useful installation Troubleshooting.

You’re not explaining why.

I do not know how to put it across @pike
If i need an external facing wiki, dokuwiki is great. But if i need something for internal and personal use, where i am the only person accessing, or i will be sharing with internel users with login and password. i wouldnt use it.

I would probably consider a solution like confluence, but their billing is weired beyond 10 users

…then your use case isn’t for a wiki. You might still use wiki software to do it, but the entire point of a wiki is to be community-edited/maintained.

Again, why? What does Dokuwiki not do that you want it to do? What does it do that you want it to not do? Because it certainly supports requiring login with username and password, and the Nethserver module makes it easy to restrict access to your LAN. “I wouldn’t use it” doesn’t help us understand what you’re trying to accomplish, where you think it’s deficient, or how you think any of the other packages you’ve mentioned is any better.

1 Like

I think i will install it first, to be able to give that definitve answer.
Seems everyone is interested in the answer.

That seems like something you should have done before saying repeatedly that you wouldn’t use DokuWiki for whatever it is you’re wanting to do.

You’ve suggested three packages, two of which advertise themselves as (more or less) replacements for Evernote. There’s nothing wrong with that, but that sounds like something different than a wiki. Another thread recently mentioned Joplin on the web, which would seem to live in the same space.

I have no stake in DokuWiki, nor in the Nethserver module for it. To the extent my opinion matters at all (which is questionable), I have no issue, in principle, with having modules for any or all of these. I might even be inclined to work on one–if I had some idea of what unique features or capabilities it offered. But you aren’t giving that information. You aren’t explaining what you want to do, how the existing package falls short (because it easily does everything you’ve said you want to do*), or how any of your suggested alternatives is any better. When you say repeatedly that you “wouldn’t use” DokuWiki for your application, you must have some reason in mind, but you thus far haven’t told us what it is. And if (as seems the case) you have no direct experience with any of the alternatives you suggest, I don’t see how you can conclude that they’ll be better.

*what you’ve said so far, in total: you want a “wiki and documentation system for me and my team, somewhere to write some notes for everyone.” You further want “a simple document storage and editing functions which have support for collaboration, and allows you to invite users into it.” You suggest “i need something for internal and personal use, where i am the only person accessing”, or “i will be sharing with internel users with login and password”. I’m not sure DokuWiki has a built-in method of sending user invitations, but certainly there are ways of inviting users. It does everything else here with the base install.

Wouldn’t a Nextcloud instance cover all the bases here?

Meanwhile:

From what I can see about Leanote, its only dependency is MongoDB. That by itself indicates it may be the best choice among the three you’ve mentioned.

Generally what i mean is.
somewhere to document company onboarding rules.
Sales process,
software installation procedures
etc.

dokuwiki, in my mind, seems like a heavyweight program, and again in my view, looks like it was design for a use case, like the one we are using it on nethserver wiki for.

thats why i mentioned, looks like it could be the holy grail.
looks like the requiments are way minimal.

Sure Joplin web looks great. infact, i am currently using joplin desktop for personal documentations. Am still researching more on it, to know some underlings it might be having

It really isn’t–source download is only 3.5MB, and it has no dependencies beyond a web server with PHP. No separate binaries that need installing, no database needed, no special ports to open, no reverse proxy to set up in the Apache configuration. Really, it could be very easily installed even without @stephdl’s module, though that adds some nice integration into the Neth way of doing things.

That’s obviously a subjective evaluation, but what of it? Access control is a matter of firewall rules and user authentication, not inherent in the design of the application itself. Other than public vs. private access, how does your suggested use case differ from how the Neth wiki is being used? Surely you don’t think that the type of content is a differentiator.