Sync mail to android device fails

NethServer Version: 7.3
Module: webtop5
Hi all,
I’ve installed webtop5 on my NS and via the web-interface all works fine: mail, agenda, contacts.
However, syncing mail & agenda to my android-device isn’t working fine.
After configuring an Exchange-account on my phone, syncing goes well for a few days, but after that I only get sync-errors. On my phone I’ve tried all solutions I could find on the internet, but nothing helps. So now the focus is serverside…
After manually trying to sync my device, I see 2 logfiles grow:

root@helium:log> $ tail imap
Sep 6 11:43:17 helium dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=rolf@XXXXX.nl, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=7960, secured, session=<V0VfLIJY+AB/AAAB>
Sep 6 11:43:17 helium dovecot: imap(rolf@XXXXX.nl): Disconnected: Logged out in=35 out=707
Sep 6 11:43:17 helium dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=rolf@XXXXX.nl, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=7967, secured, session=<r7xpLIJYBAB/AAAB>
Sep 6 11:43:18 helium dovecot: imap(rolf@XXXXX.nl): Disconnected: Logged out in=2380 out=170470
Sep 6 11:43:18 helium dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=rolf@XXXXX.nl, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=7974, secured, session=<xf9yLIJYEAB/AAAB>
Sep 6 11:43:18 helium dovecot: imap(rolf@XXXXX.nl): Disconnected: Logged out in=35 out=707
Sep 6 11:43:19 helium dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=rolf@XXXXX.nl, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=7981, secured, session=<tyh8LIJYHAB/AAAB>
Sep 6 11:43:19 helium dovecot: imap(rolf@XXXXX.nl): Disconnected: Logged out in=2380 out=170470
Sep 6 11:43:24 helium dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=rolf@XXXXX.nl, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=7987, secured, session=<DA7TLIJYKAB/AAAB>
Sep 6 11:43:24 helium dovecot: imap(rolf@XXXXX.nl): Disconnected: Logged out in=305 out=1977

root@helium:log> $ tail secure
Sep 6 11:44:20 helium sssd[be[XXXXX.nl]]: Warning: user would have been denied GPO-based logon access if the ad_gpo_access_control option were set to enforcing mode.
Sep 6 11:44:20 helium auth: pam_sss(dovecot:auth): authentication success; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=rolf@XXXXX.nl rhost=127.0.0.1 user=rolf@XXXXX.nl
Sep 6 11:44:20 helium sssd[be[XXXXX.nl]]: Warning: user would have been denied GPO-based logon access if the ad_gpo_access_control option were set to enforcing mode.
Sep 6 11:44:48 helium auth: pam_sss(dovecot:auth): authentication success; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=rolf@XXXXX.nl rhost=127.0.0.1 user=rolf@XXXXX.nl
Sep 6 11:44:48 helium sssd[be[XXXXX.nl]]: Warning: user would have been denied GPO-based logon access if the ad_gpo_access_control option were set to enforcing mode.
Sep 6 11:44:48 helium auth: pam_sss(dovecot:auth): authentication success; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=rolf@XXXXX.nl rhost=127.0.0.1 user=rolf@XXXXX.nl
Sep 6 11:44:48 helium sssd[be[XXXXX.nl]]: Warning: user would have been denied GPO-based logon access if the ad_gpo_access_control option were set to enforcing mode.

No errors, just a warning.
When logging on to the web-admin console of NS, I get a warning “Please access WebTop to change password for the admin user. Default password is: “admin””. However, when logging on to webtop using admin/admin I only get a blank screen. (maybe it’s not related)
Is there anyone who sees a clue on what’s wrong here?
If more info is needed, please let me know!

Hi,
I think, you just have to add an Exchange/activesync account on your Android device. With IMAP you’ll only sync mails in this case.
I tested it with Gmail app and Google Calendar on Android and it worked, my logfiles look similar to yours.

oopsie, my fault. It IS an exchange-account… I’ve edited my original post.
But both calendar & mail fails after some time…

Webtop currently doesn’t support EAS email sync just calendar and contacts.
You have to use an IMAP account for it
Hope it helps

oh? hmm, that’s a bummer…
and sogo? does that do both mail & calendar? (although last time I looked, I didn’t like look & feel of it, but hey, functionality before looks… )

I used SOGo EAS once and it was a pity too. Probably things have been improved in the meantime.

So, when my desired functionality is:

• webmailclient, with calendar function (create and accept mail & invitations)
  • sync mail & calendar to android devices (create and accept mail & invitations)
  • sync mail & calendar to Apple devices (create and accept mail & invitations)
    then nethserver can’t be used for that?

I’m a bit lost now with what options can be used for what…

I am able to sync calendar, mails and even contacts via EAS. I created a GMail EAS account, maybe Gmail does something different than other mail clients for Android. WebTop 5 shows events that I created on Android Google calendar, GMail app shows my actual mails and even GContacs created on Android are shown in my Webtop contacts and vice versa so it seems to be syncing with WebTop 5.

Installed:
nethserver-webtop5.noarch 1.1.3-1.ns7
nethserver-sogo.noarch 1.6.10-1.ns7
nethserver-sogo-thunderbird.noarch 1.2.0-1.ns7

Maybe GMail app uses imap and the rest just works…

Use WebTop or Sogo, both are able to manage mails and calendars via web ui

You may use activesync or use imap/ical/caldav with your devices

IMO Nethserver can be used for that very well. I started testing today, give you a report if it keeps stable…

1 Like

Thx for your answer.
So, to get it right:

• you host your own domain, with mail for user.
  • on your pc/laptop, you use webtop and/or sogo for mail & calendar
  • and on android, you see your mail in the gmail app, and your calendar in the google calendar app.
    That’s exactly what I’m trying to achieve…
    On the android device: you say you have imap/ical/caldav. But AFAIK imap doesn’t sync calendar, and I don’t have the option to add a caldav account. Do you use a seperate caldav-app for that?
    The google calendar app doesn’t give the option to add a caldav-url…

No, I have Exchange/acticesync called EAS and this works for me on my Android device.

But if this doesn’t work then you really have to search for a ical/caldav app.
But I also used Thunderbird on PC where I can sync public calendars from sogo with TB, so the protocols work, you just have to find good, ad-free etc clients for Android/iOS…