Support for Chelsio T320?

Hi,

just wondering if anyone is using a Chelsio T320 (or similar x3x0) on their Nethserver bare-metal, I was thinking about running this sort of setup myself for edge using old, old hardware - hoping not to have to upgrade anything.

Thanks!

This is more a Linux/CentOS related question than a NethServer related question. If the card is supported on Centos7 it will run on NethServer.
more info: https://www.chelsio.com/linux/
a workaround could be done through virtualization.

With a bit of searching I found that the T520 is supported on proxmox, but not the 320…
I am using 2 onboard 10Gb adapters on my proxmox server, but that is using a supermicro mobo…

I am curious if you get this card to work…

Yes, I realized that as I wrote this up, but then again, I thought it might be a valuable discussion for the community given that Nethserver is positioned as an edge device OS

I have a VMWare shop so I’d probably stick with them over Proxmox, but that is a good point re: virtualization.

pfSense has OOB cxgb support, which is the chelsio 10Gb driver. CentOS 7.6 has the ‘benefit’ of having a (very) old, massively-backported kernel, so the likelihood of OOB support for old hardware is fairly high.

A cursory glance at /lib/modules/3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/chelsio/ shows cxgb3/cxgb3.ko.xz

Looks promising - maybe I’ll just have to try it and see.

1 Like

Oh jeesh, I forgot to mention that I tried the T320-alike (it’s actually an S320E-CXA CX-4 ‘Unified Wire’ interface) and it works great with CentOS OOB

I’ve been testing it with Ubuntu and it works OK, too, but sometimes it gets ‘stuck’ and won’t work unless it’s unplugged and then plugged back in (very annoying). CentOS definitely has the upper hand here.

Also, best perf3 results I’ve gotten thus far out of Ubuntu 18.04, CentOS 7.6 and FreeBSD 11.2 have been with CentOS 7.6, which I found somewhat surprising due to the kernel being so aged. There must be something to those 950-or-so backports :wink:

1 Like