Suggestions for software center

As we are Approaching a RC for NS8 i think this PAge would require significant updates and Imporvements, MAde to sell the prodcut, not something just for geeks
NethServer 8, the new application hosting platform – NethServer

Also on the Same Note, i think it would be great, especially for new users and for marketing perspective to have a page like this originating from the main NS8 homepage

something to show all the packages and softwares available, By default, and those published by the communities.

1 Like

I’m working on a new entire site, thank you for the suggestion BTW

Where would you like to put it? We already have something like that in the software center

this is supposed to be a public facing page.

When someone visits the new NS8 website, they will also get a link for available software or tools. or even a software marketplace. which will have the page that lists all the programs that Ship with NS8 by Default, all and categorised, as well as those that are community built.

that way, someone doe snot need to install a server, but can get a picture and understanding of what’s possible already, and tools already available for installation, before they even think of installing something else.

One day,

A Nethserver8 installa dashbaord be like this… (not the looks but the number of tools installable) and categorization

I think that we only miss categories, boxes and installation buttons are very similar. Don’t you think?

Correct, only the categories is not yet implemented,

I guess, when we start to have more modules, the Need for it will become apparent.

Also, would it not be possible to implement click anywhere on the sofware selection to view details, instead of only the name and the icon?

FOr tools like NExtcloud, on the software center, the listed version is 1.1.0 btu what nextcloud version is it actually?

Must one install to be able to know the version of nextcloud, or even webtop. i think the general overview would be fantastic. dont you think?

1 Like

I’d like to involve @andre8244 into the conversation so he can answer your questions

I think it is important to have the full FQDN of the instances of the softwares Deployed available/ visible from this interface

Also, if there was an option to name the instances, and have the named name available instead of the generic, nextcloud 1 etc for the deployed application, would make the interface alot more better.

Ability to name Application instances from the application setting name, is a welcome.

Rename the OPEN APP on application instances

KIndly have this name changed to Manage App instead of Open App, because open app would mean, accessing the application intself, but in this case, we are acessing it to manage it features and functions

1 Like

You can change the application UI name with Edit instance label

Then it is used in app listings.

See Modules — NS8 documentation

to be updated on the main Site?

1 Like

Modules published are not related or source is not mentioned. Are there plans for labeling modules e.g. “Official modules” and “Community modules”? And how can one be assured of a “100% safe” Community module?

1 Like

IMVHO “100% safe” is a wrong assumption from start.

• developer managing the module and Nethesis can’t make any kind of assement or security statement in spite of the module software
  • any software might contain a security issue still not discovered
  • anyway, when the module software receives an update, the module mantainer might not have time/resources/whatever to provide the updated version in a “glad” timing for the users
  • last but not list when NS8 will be released as a product (subscription available) i don’t think that Nethesis will provide support for all the configurations, unless a specific list of cases/rules

Without forgetting that… A safer NS8 cluster have no unnecessary software/module installed. The safest is the… powered off one.

Agree, but at least an attempt (without false positives) is a step. Just like Apple and Google try with their app stores.

Doing nothing is a worst case scenario IMHO. And NS has to protect trusted modules and untrusted modules. A ‘do whatever you want’ scenario is a complete no go IMHO.

Disclaimer: totally personal opinion

Actually I think it’s the current goal.
No module will appear in “module list” without at least some verification of “nothin really wrong” with the candidate.

However, no one is avoiding any developer to create any module from any docker/podman container and install it into personal NS8 cluster. Why any GPL project should act against personal initiative? :slight_smile:

Double achievement:

• no developers time used for the specific container adaptation to NS8 structure
  • information about possible adoption of this module and… sort of “market test” on how this is so much interesting for the community.

I mean…
Mattermost arrived "for free on NethServer… assuming that Nethesis needed a Slack alternative, so they adapted, tested and… released. Maybe not Nethesis, maybe a customer. Who knows.

On “NS end user side” (which is the sysadmin, not a Clueless User): maybe lesser of peace of mind (sort of)
On “hands up user side”: wiggle room to use the preferred container into NethServer and not into another separate system (assuming there could be a will).

One marvellous thing about NethServer: you can setup a fully fledged test server for more than 180 days!

No need for that, always the case for all :wink:

That is exactly what I am looking for, but 'a more robust ‘some verification’ and by who.

I have always very much appreciated, and still am, of the devs from Nethesis and @stephdl and @mrmarkuz for the many modules, and I see their work as ‘developed by trusted community members’. So I was looking for how NS8 modules are going to be qualified/labeled.

Actually, BEing that i hav published a Module on the NEthforge repo, and thos modules appear on the software center, i have noted that the develoeprs of nethserver do actually take their time to deploy, test and review the application, and if they find any challenges or issues,

the developer is notified to recify on that before they are published.

so, Due diligence is taken for modules on the nethforge repo, unles a module was developed and not released to the nethforge repo.

But where is the process documented and governed?

Personal opinion mode on
Currently deliver/assess more modules is “nice” but not a top priority for devs, both projects need to be “released” as first task.

Personally I don’t feel there will be some sort of “process documented and reported”, mostly because module number won’t be “so big”. Tenths, one hundred top => document, governance and status report seems quite an overkill.
Moreover… I’d hardly believe there will be more than one module submission par month, once NS8 will be delivered as day to day setup.

you can expect all processes being used are documented now, even before the Release is out, do you?

i agree

for module number, that depends on the scope of the project managers,

if they want Nethserver to be the defactor way Self hosted applications are installed on Linux Server, that wont Hinder there being thousands of Applications.

then the process would be,

SOmeone goes to Digital ocean, deployes Nethserver, configures it, then Deploys Software A,B,C,D

ofcourse i am not talking about the hard cores, that use Ansible and terraform and kubernetes cluster nodes, etc for their project, those are on a league of their own.

I am mearly taking about small enterprises that need an Invoicing tool like Invoice Ninja, and a password manager, like Authy/Vaultwarden etc.

From the top of my head and writing it in a rush…

Options some might want to consider:

• Official NethServer “Software repos”
  • Community repo (aka NethForge)
  • Custom repo: option to allow anyone to add a personal/custom repo not governed by NethServer/Nethesis. Some use cases: module dev testing, internal software (for instance with license restrictions preventing to be shared with the community), pay-wall modules, personal repo or cloned repos to have full control even if NethServer repo(s) are down (possible problems with updates from official and cloned repos?).

If NethForge is a github repo controlled by NethServer devs, everything pushed there could be evaluated almost in the same way it is done on official repo (build automation, unit tests -but coded by the module mantainers-, generic security audits like some of the ones built-in/endorsed by github to check if the code is using old/vulnerable dependencies and alike)

1 Like