Suggest 4-Bay Model NAS for Windows Server Backup

Hi, Andy!
Looking forward to deploy NAS in our Unit. Pls suggest the 4-Bay Model for Windows Server Backup.

15e1a47cd30c55bd48f595ca8c3dc5e3-234804639
IMVHO 4 bay is only a part of the informations needed to give any kind of meaningful answer.

Synology 4-Bay DiskStation DS923+ (Diskless)

2 Likes

Wonderful hardware, with 2280 M2 slots. However with 2x1gb ethernet might be not enough in some environments. 10GBe, SFP or RJ45, might be mandatory…
More information were asked for pick the best available hint.

Hi,

i was dreaming about a Synology DS1522+ NAS last night. Then the damn alarm clock rang…

Regards

Uwe

1 Like

@pike is correct here more info the better. If you start getting into 10Gbps realm I always like to “white box” it and build a custom Truenas unit. Hands down the best bang for the buck if you are not adverse to getting your hands dirty and willing to support your own environment/hardware.

Hi

Sorry, was away most of the day outstation…

My choice would be either:

• DS1522+
  • DS1621+
  • DS1621xs+

All three can be equipped with a 10GBE NIC which also supports 2.5 GBE and 5 GBE…
The first is a 5 Bay, the others are both 6 Bays.

The first costs here about 750 CHF (= USD), the second costs about 950 CHF (=USD), the third is about 1550 CHF (=USD).

The second and third look both VERY similiar, but the third is more than twice as powerful as number 2 !!!

I do like TrueNAS, but:, for some clients,

I need a box with replacement, full extended warrenty, and automatic Rebuilds of RAID and so on…
In short, a box which works, and a client can also handle…

If used as shared storage, def. a box with 2.5-10 GBE options!

A 4 bay is the minimum I’ll suggest, but I do prefer a bay or two more, so eg a hotspare has space…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes