Successfully setup nextcloud, some questions remaining

Wait a sec. I tried something (adding a route) and now nothing works anymore, I have to revert back

Yep, Proxmox is accessed via internet without nat. SSH Port is changed and password login deactivated in favour of certificate based login.

With the bridge I was not successfull yet, so first I try to setup nat connection. Then I’ll try bridge.

I had to reboot server as the route I had added was wrong.

Now to answer your question. No, 8.8.8.8 is not pingable. The external ip is pingable, but not the gateway of the external ip.

But proxmox can ping 8.8.8.8?

I’d evade using NAT on the virtualization host, at least in your present, specific environment.
It’s cost you so far a few days

yes, let me check on windows vm if its the same. Yep, its the same on windows.

True cost me way to much time, but need it the one way or the other. If I find out, why I cannot reach host gateway from both vms then probably bridged connection will work too.

I am able to set external host nic to manual, and then give the external ip to virbr0. That works, and so I still can connect to the host via ssh. I can try that again. But as long as the gateway does not reply I am bit lost.

Shall I post config of /etc/network/interfaces?

Windows VM can ping 8.8.8.8?

What does that windows use as gateway?

No, both c’ant ping 8.8.8.8 nor the host gateway. Gateway is on vms is 192.168.57.1(configured on the network card).

Excactly

so only proxmox has external access?

yes, although /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward -> 1

It must be something stupid, maybe a typo

Yes, post your network config.
My background is networking after all, not programming.

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp26s0
iface enp26s0 inet static
address 82.220.38.12
gateway 82.220.38.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

iface enp24s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.57.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
     post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.0.57.0/24' -o enp26s0 -j MASQUERADE
     post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.0.57.0/24' -o enp26s0 -j MASQUERADE

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 192.168.57.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
     post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.57.0/24' -o enp26s0 -j MASQUERADE
     post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.57.0/24' -o enp26s0 -j MASQUERADE

Thank you so much, I feel sorry and thankfull the same time for stealing your time! Is there anything to check that should be enabled within proxmox webinterface for enabling external access to the vms?

Hi
Just to clarify:

Are there ANY files in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ ?

All my configuration at the illustrated site seems to be only in the file /etc/network/interfaces.

No, its empty, must have been created by debian or something. But I have two old interfaces_backup and /interfaces_backup2 in /etc/network, but they should not interfear? I can delete them, restart network and try again, just to be sure

Wait, try this:
The configuration of my /etc/network/interfaces.d/ is empty.

As per https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
Network configuration can be done either via the GUI, or by manually editing the file /etc/network/interfaces, which contains the whole network configuration.

My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like as follows, without the warning lines at the beginning:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.209.61
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.209.1
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports eno2
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

The warning lines are:

network interface settings; autogenerated
Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
you’re doing.

If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
please utilize the ‘source’ or ‘source-directory’ directives to do
so.
PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

All these lines start with a “#”

Try replicating this and adapt your config (IPs)
Both Bridges can have an IP, one the external IP, the second your internal IP (192.168.57.x?).

Evade using the IPs 1 or 254, unless that box is your router!

The main thing missing in your config is the Gateway of that partcular subnet.

Note:

In my example above vmbr1 is connected to a VDSL connection, so here Proxmox doesn’t need an IP and is not accessible on this connection. It just passes everything through.

That maybe it, I’ll remove the .1 and add gateway.

Hm, did not work, same result. I changed adress on vmbr1 to 192.168.57.3, gateway 192.168.57.1 but same thing. Let my try something else. I wipe my configuration and try with your settings.

I start thinking it could be something within proxmox that I maybe need to activate?

That sounds better. (Keep a copy anyway)

→ On a normal settup of Proxmox there’s no additional setting need to be set to access your VMs, and they are “bridged” as expected.
I think these “issues” are a residual of setting up via Debian.

Wait, I maybe see the error. I have bridge-ports none where you have your nic name there. Let me test. Ah, no thats the brigded variant. So I’ll do that, wait.

Maybe, yes, but I had no other choice, as its what the hoster offers

Debian “Umweg”, halt notwendiges ĂŒbel

:slight_smile:

Yep. Ich stell grad auf bridged um. sekunde

Ok, now interfaces has been changed to brigded. Now rebooting nethserver to see, what I have to configure there