Sticky connections for multi wan

zentyal

(Hendrik Muhs) #1

Hi,

as many people here I am a Zentyal refugee after they removed load balancing support. After our router died last week I am setting up nethserver as a replacement. Our main usage is multi wan with load balancing.

One problem with multi-wan in zentyal was that every packet (or every connection?) was routed to a different WAN which broke some sites like webmailers. Is there any support for ‘sticky connections’ in nethserver? I would also be willing to tweak it on the system manually if the UI does not support it.

Thanks,

Hendrik

(Artem Fedai) #2

Hi , multi wan logic was changed not so long ago , so it is better to try. As we use shorewall you could use shorewall docs.

(Artem Fedai) #3

@hendrik I have not mentioned that fact if you want to receive complex assistance, you need to attach logs and desired goals that you want to achieve.
BR

(Filippo Carletti) #4

On NethServer traffic is routed per destination, with a cache. This means that traffic to an IP address goes through the same uplink. We didn’t encounter problems, but if you could share a link to a malfunction webmail, we could test it with NethServer.

(Artem Fedai) #5

@hendrik

[root@nethserver ~]# ip ru
0:      from all lookup local
999:    from all lookup main
10000:  from all fwmark 0x10000/0xf0000 lookup IC2
10001:  from all fwmark 0x20000/0xf0000 lookup ITC1
20000:  from 91.209.1.56 lookup IC2
20000:  from 91.209.1.54 lookup ITC1
32765:  from all lookup balance
32767:  from all lookup default

So we markup all incoming traffic, thus no problem with misrouted traffic is observed.

(Hendrik Muhs) #6

Thank you so much for all the feedback.

The problem I described happens on Zentyal, looks like nethserver does not only do a better job but also has a great community.

Thank you again, I will install the machine in production tomorrow or on monday, if I encounter any problem, I let you know.

(Bogdan Costin) #7

If i’m not mistaking I think Zentyal implemented something like RoundRobin. This wash the model for balancing.
Every other connection was routed over the next link.

(Alessio Fattorini) #8

Yeah! It is. :wink:

I’m very interested in this switch, please let us know

(Hendrik Muhs) #9

Good morning,

router is in production and yes it works like a charm! Not only the multi-wan routing works with stickiness but also the network itself seems to be much quicker than with the old Zentyal setup.

LBNL I am also happy about the network configuration options (I need some static routes to connect to some legacy network, Zentyal required some manual hacks to achieve what I needed, nethserver just works)

So thanks from a happy migrator!

(Alessio Fattorini) #10

Happy to hear this! Great shot!