Status of PPPoE connection

Hello,

I have two physical ethernet connection. One is to my router. One is to LAN. I am connecting to the internet over PPPoE connection over router.

1. Sometimes, my internet provider, router or something else is broken and I cannot reach internet. At these times, when I check net I do not see if link is UP or DOWN. It would be helpful to see that information like in regular ethernet connection.

You can see above image that eth0 is UP. It is not known if PPPoE is up or DOWN.

2. It would be very helpful to see last error message from PPPoE connection trial if connection is DOWN. Sometimes, I find router power cut by somebody in the house. Sometimes, it is my internet provider having technical difficulties. Such error messages helps to identify where to look for.

My router is two floors up and it is not so easy to go and check its status.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,
Ertan

1 Like

Let’s summon @filippo_carletti!

AFAIK, current developers do not have access to a PPPoE connection. Could you provide details on how to obtain such info?

I really do not know about development for browsers. My suggestions might not be of use.

What I do usually is to check output of ip command. That requires me to use some kind of a terminal/ssh connection. I also use NethServer browser terminal.

[root@neth ~]# ip a
[...snip...]
4: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1492 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN group default qlen 3
    link/ppp 
    inet 10.40.1.15 peer 10.40.0.1/32 scope global ppp0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
[root@neth ~]# 

1- I check if there is an IP address assigned.
2- I check if UP is in the list next to line starting with “4: ppp0” above

These tell me that ppp connection is up and there is an IP assigned. In other terms, all good. One of them missing for me means no internet connection.

I am not experienced with CentOS myself. I mostly used Debian and I just cannot be sure about ppp log location and filename. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on how to identify latest trial log lines of the ppp daemon and to display it somewhere as I did not see them once on NethServer.

Before NethServer, I was using OpenWrt. I used to check log in there to see if connection is broken because of my side or my ISP side. That log included everything (though mostly errors) and not just ppp logs.

What I think of about ppp log is: if it can be assigned a separate log file (with rotation enabled of course) that might help to list last 20-50-100 lines (I have no idea what would be optimum line count) from that file. This is a long shot what I am suggesting. I do not know a bit if it can be achieved.

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan

Hello @filippo_carletti,

I just got some samples for DOWN status of PPPoE connection. They are as follows. One thing to note here is that numbers increasing with the connection trials. Below are four different examples copied from different times

11: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 3
    link/ppp

14: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 3
    link/ppp 

19: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 3
    link/ppp 

24: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 3
    link/ppp

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan Küçükoğlu