[Solved] How to reset the database used by fail2ban?

NethServer Version: 7.4.1708
Module: fail2ban

Hi everyone,

This is rather a topic for Stephdl as maintainer of the module fail2ban.

Fail2ban worked fine ‘out of the box’ for me, but unfortunatly after reading the Wiki ( https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=module:fail2ban ) i tried to define a different bantime for each jail and then came the problems because i get banned from each service i installed (mail, nextcloud an so on). Disabling Fail2ban allows me to get my server works (it’s not a virtual one), i’m sure fail2ban is involved in this problem.

As a first workaround, i tried to reset each value as mentioned in the Wiki : it didn’t solve the problem when i reactivated Fail2ban.
So i tried to uninstall fail2ban, but it didn’t solved the problem either.
When typing : db configuration show fail2ban , i see that my configuration database is still there as i can see the IP’s i whitelisted, so following the developpers Guide, i tried to reset fail2ban’s database with : /usr/libexec/nethserver/initialize-fail2ban-database but it failed… Which didn’t surprized me when moving to /usr/libexec/nethserver/ i realized there’s no database related to fail2ban, so my question is :
how can i reinitialize fail2ban’s database, as i think it could do the job ?

Thanks & have a nice day.

Stef

[solved] Oups, as i don’t enable ‘Allow bans on the LAN’ and i always log in through my LAN, i didn’t read the logs… but my LAN IP was banned ! :open_mouth:
Unbanning it solved the problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

fail2ban-unban YOUR_IP

should solve the issue

after that dirty solution could be (at your own risk)

systemctl stop fail2ban
rm -rf /var/lib/nethserver/fail2ban/fail2ban.json
rm -rf /var/lib/fail2ban/fail2ban.sqlite3
systemctl start fail2ban

But if your IP is still written in log accordingly the findtime value, then you will be banned again

Hi,
In order to remove my LAN IPs, i’ve settled bantime at 600s. After a
while, this removed my IPs, but i keep your solution in mind with
database location.
Thanks.
Stef

1 Like