[solved] Add additional group for read access on neth samba share

We have a share which is owned by “domain admin” group and group “everyone” has no access. Thats working fine. What I now would like to add, is an additional active directory group with read only access to this share. Logging in with domain admin and trying to add a group to the share under right-click/properties/security I get an access denied.
grafik
Looking at the folder with linux shell I see:
grafik

How can I modify accordingly?

@Elleni

Hi

And a happy new year to you!

Using Cockpit:

Applications -> File Server -> Shared Folders -> ACL

Added in the group DokuWiki-Admins (just as example…)

Hope this helps

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi Andy,

partially it does help, thank you :slight_smile: - as I must admit I overlooked the ACL line. So I added a group there and configured read-only access for it.

But in the subfolders of the share domain users seem to have full access, thus can still write to those folders, and that’s what I want to avoid. Checking in linux shell, I also can see why.
grafik

The problem is if I change to domain admins@ourdomain.tld in linux console with: "chown -R root:“domain admins@…” instead of domain users@… I do not get read access despite having added the user in the corresponding group which was configured with read access via the ACL field :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Elleni

Hi

Normal Linux permission commands are not ACL capable…

Here’s a good help for the subject in german…

In end effect, you can’t use the usual chown / chmod, but you can still do a recursive, like with chmod or chown…

So keep the standard Linux permissions as they are, but use ACLs!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thanks Andy, I am still reading but “das ist mir zu hoch” :slight_smile:
Have to study further, as I don’t get it yet.

I am still about to find out how I remove the write attribute from the group “domain users@ourdomain.tld”

getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/folder/
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/folder/
# owner: root
# group: domain\040users@ourdomain.tld
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::---

Tried with:
setfacl -d -m group:domain\040users@ourdomain.tld:g-w /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/folder/
resulted in:
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 7

@Elleni

Hi

Yes, ACLs make UN*X permissions really complicated, especially if you’re old school!

Just a word of warning: What you can’t do with normal permissions: “lockout root”, as root always has permissions everywhere: You can lockout root from the system!

Make sure you have a full backup!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. The folder I try to modify is our rsynced share from our locally shared data. The goal is that we only have read access to them, so they keep save from overwriting/being encrypted by malware, while we are still able to access them fast in case someone accidently deleted something.

Whats wrong with my setfacl try? I dont get it. May it be because of the long group name… I will investigate further and report back if I found the solution.

1 Like

Whatever ACL I set in nethserver gui is only for the share itself but not for its subfolders. If I add domain group xyz and limit it to read access in gui, I can see that group in linux shell with getfacl set as default group (on the share but not on the subfolders). And it indeed respects read or read-write access, but only for the share itself, and not recursively.

So a user in xyz group can only read in nethshare but can still write in nethshare/subfolder… :frowning:

AFAIK there is a Recursive option for the setfacl command: setfacl -R
Can’t you use that?

1 Like

Well it does not work in my case. I don’t know how the command should look like, but I tried:

setfacl -R -m g:domain\040users@ourdomain.tld:r-x /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share but the result was

setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3

I must do something wrongly…

What I see is that the group I added in ACL via GUI (domain users in this case trying to restrict it to read-only, but I also tried other groups with the same result) is only visible as default-group on the share but not on a subfolder of the share:

getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/
# group: domain\040admins@ourdomain.tld
group:domain\040users@ourdomain.tld:r-x
mask::rwx
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:domain\040users@ourdomain.tld:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/subfolder/
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/subfolder/

Well almost the same with other groups. The difference is:

adding say group xyz -> it becomes default group xyz on the share, but on subfolder the group (there is no default group on the subfolder, just a group) remains domain\40users@ourdomain.tld and there is no xyz.

Without commenting nor having a opinion on the solution;
you probably need to put the hole group name in double quotes ie:
setfacl -R -m g:"domain\040users@ourdomain.tld":r-x

1 Like

I was sure, I had tried this but apparently not correctly. This time that worked, but I still am able to write to write to the subfolders.

setfacl -R -m g:"domain\040users@ourdomain.tld":r-x /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/subfolder/
getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/subfolder/
getfacl: Removing leading ‘/’ from absolute path names
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/neth-share/subfolder/
other::—

I guess, I have to modify the user: group: and mask: somehow, which all are rwx?

I really would like to restrict users from writing to the subfolders of above share, so may I ask once again for some help with that problem?

1. VM Snapshot
  2. check/write-down share and sub-folder permissions (ls, getfacl)
  3. reset share permissions from command line (signal-event ibay-reset-permissions sharedfoldername) or from old server manager (if no custom permissions were set manually)
  4. check/write-down share and sub-folder permissions (ls, getfacl)

#bug?

1 Like

I will do so asap. But first things first. What is it all about with this share.

We have a local server A with its shares where users can access with read-write permissions, server A also provides the roaming profiles and redirected folders among other things.

Then there is remote server B which has a share that should only be accessible limitedly. Domain users should not be able to write to this share. With a cronjob on server B the folders from server A are rsynced every quarter of an hour.

The corresponding command for the rsync job is:

sync -a -e ‘ssh -p customportnumber’ root@servera:/var/lib/nethserver/ibay/Folder1/ && sync -a -e ‘ssh -p customportnumber’ root@servera:/var/lib/nethserver/ibay/Folder2/ and so on.

On weekends we add the option --delete to rsync so deleted files on server A get deleted once a week on server B.

I started asking myself if it could be because on server A the users have read-write access - could that be the reason why the users can still write on the share on server B is the resync after all?

Would I have to modify the rsync options in order to keep access rights of the destination folder instead?

In any case I check and write down the share and sub-folder permissions but will have to do the reset later.

Share:

ls -l /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/
total 0
drwxrws—+ 6 root domain admins@ourdomain.tld 56 Jan 4 16:27 nethshare

getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare
# group: domain\040admins@ourdomain.tld
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:domain\040users@ourdomain.tld:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

Subfolder:

ls -l /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/subfolder1/
total 40
drwxrwsr-x+ 50 root                       domain users@ourdomain.tld 8192 Dec 28 16:27 Folder2

ls -l /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/subfolder1/Folder2
-rw-rw----+  1 user2@ourdomain.tld domain users@ourdomain.tld       0 Aug 16  2009 filename.pdf
(...)

getfacl /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/subfolder1/
# file: var/lib/nethserver/ibay/nethshare/subfolder1/

I checked again and while I indeed cannot create a subfolder in windows under \\serverb\nethshare I can create files and folders under \\serverb\nethshare\subfolders

After the snapshot and reset of the accessrights on the share as suggested, immediately checked and indeed now it behaves correctly - read only for domain users members. The question remains though if the problem is comming from the rsync. I will check later after the next rsync is done and also will create a new folder on servera and see how the access rights are after rsync to serverb.

You could also try to create a new share from old server manager and from cockpit and see if permissions/acls differ.

I think it really is rsync that reverses some of the access rights, as it works as intended but a bit later (after next rsync) the access rights are increased, meaning, I can start writing on folders again. So I have to find out if there is a way to tell rsync to respect access rights from destination instead of the actual behaviour?

@Elleni

Hi

See the sample command from my “Fundus”…

rsync -avzu --no-perms --no-owner --no-group /mnt/Backup-Dicom/ /mnt/Backup-Dicom2/

The three shown options helped me in an earlier case…
–no-perms --no-owner --no-group

As rsync doesn’t try to change any perms, the folder values should be valid…
Worked for me, with one or two small exceptions…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Is the resync command with the -p, --perms (preserve permissions) parameter?
See https://ss64.com/bash/rsync.html

1 Like