SOGO editable global address book

Hi
Does any one know if there is a way to have a “Global Address Book” - like the personal address book, that is completely editable, by an administrator (array of user).

I know that there is a work around by creating a user and then create a custom address book and share that out to all authenticated users, this would work only if the share can be automatically be added to to all users, rather then each user having to add it them-selves.
Doe anyone if that is possible?

Thanks in advance
George

2 Likes

Hi @gpapaiko,
welcome to the community.

If you use the sogo webinterface, you can automatically share a self generated addressbook with authenticated users. Click on sharing, choose the user, give the rights and choose subscribe user.

At the user it looks like the following picture:

Kind regards
Michael

Hi Michael,

I have done that but, shared the address book, I don’t have the option “Subscribe User”. does not show up at all, all other permission options are there.
Is there something in the configuration that I need to add to get the option.

I’ve checked it, it’s not there for every authenticated user, but if you create a group at your active directory, put all authenticated users to this group, and choose this group at SOGo, it works.

HI Michael,

Thanks.

I am not using ldap/AD at the moment, just postfix and MySQL.
Hmm, need to thinks of a work around, thanks.

Have you tried to use a single user? For me this works also, it is only much more work.

Hi Michael,

Yes, I have tried that for one user and it seems to work, but as you said that is a lot of work to do.

I have created an account called “Global Address Book” and shared that, but that will require a lot of work to do it one user at a time.

I have been playing around with creating a table in MySql called contacts, but for some reason the data is not showing up up.

This part of the sogo.conf file.

{
displayName = “Global Address Book”;
type = sql;
id = global_address_book;
“mysql://sogo:bOLhJMp8AsFabEpnVJFePmnTKSH6x24J@127.0.0.1:3306/sogo/contacts”;
canAuthenticate = NO;
isAddressBook = YES;
listRequiresDot = NO;
SOGoEnableDomainBasedUID = YES;
DomainFieldName = “domain”;
},

I have created a new view and renamed a couple of the column names to match the ‘users’ view and that seems to work, although there is only a couple of columns.

This has lead me to believe that for me to get this to work, the columns need to have very specific names.

Are you able to tell me what those column ( attribute) names should be?

By doing it this way we can then create a php web page on the internal customer portal, so a the users will be able to edit/update their own details, and only administrators can add new accounts, or even create a Db trigger to add a new account to the contacts table, then as part of the onboarding the user and update the rest of their details.

I understand that this will only be read only, but it will solve 80% of the problem ( and 80:20 rule is good)

Thanks for all you help so far, greatly appriciated.

Can’t you use a local ad at your nethserver? It’s easy to install and I think it’s what you need. You can create users and groups as admin and also use these users and groups at sogo.
If you have already a windows ad you also can connect your nethserver to it.
For installing ad at nethserver you only have to install account provider and set it up at Users and Groups.
If this is not a solution for you perhaps @stephdl can help with this:

Hi Michael,

To tell you the truth, we not using nethserver , we using ubuntu 20.04 and this is POC.
We have install all this with iredmail and sogo as the web client, we will not be going with roundcube.

This seems the best place to get advise and help.

I have downloaded nethserver 7.9 and that will the next one that I will be installing and testing.

Yes you do have a MS Ad. but that is for one domain, and we will have multiple email domains domain, so creating an AD domain is an option, but only as a last resort if we cannot figure this out, but not a path we want to go down as yet.

But if nethserver has that functionality that you mention then that will be a contender for a phase 2 - final POC.

Hi @stephdl can you help with this?

Are you able to tell me what those column ( attribute) names should be?

We need to give this a go to see if it can be done.

Thanks.

1 Like

Perhaps you can create an alias domain at your windows ad.

PS: If you have problems by installing nethserver, please let us know.
I would advise you to install nethserver in a vm, I’ve running it at Hyper-V and proxmox. It’s much easier to go back, after testing things.

Absolutely no ideas, probably the sogo community will be the better place

Actually wE do not have a multi domain ad, but we can have multi email domain with alias

1 Like

Hi Michael, Stephane,

I thought I started this thread on sogo bug tracker and some how it ended up here.

The multi-domain AD is not a real issue is just that we don’t want to go down that path unless we have to, its a last resort option.

I have just installed Nethserver on esxi server , and the interface looks good, just had some issues with the interactive installation, it would not allow me to assign a 100Gb disk so it can automatically configure it, gave that a few tries than opted of one of the other installation methods. and got it up and running.

Now trying to work out what packages I need to install.
One thing that is a little out of date is the php version it is using 5.4.16 when the current version is 7.4.x.

As I am newbie to this any advise on what I need to install to get a prober email server working?

You can install php-scl from @stephdl repo.
First you have to install the repo:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=stephdl_repository

after that you can install the package:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=php-scl

You can install only the mailserver, but for spam filtering you also can install rspamd and for a webinterface you can choose between webtop, sogo, nextcloud, horde (you have to use @mrmarkuz repository) and rouncube.

Some infos to mailserver you can find here:
https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/mail.html

How to install @mrmarkuz repository you find here:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=mrmarkuz_repository

Please let us now the result, perhaps other people also want to do so.

1 Like

Hi,

Will let you know how I go with all this.

1 Like

For sogo you do not need php, as far I know

Hi Stephane,

You are right you don’t need it.
I was thinking more of in line with an web app that I have built, and thinking of reducing my ubuntu servers if Nethserver can do what I need it to do.

Also I noticed that the Sogo client is only 1.4.8 while the latest version 5.
Is this gong to be upgraded?

Also can I use enable sogo filters using sieve?

Thanks.

Nethserver-sogo is the rpm to customize and provide settings, sogo is the binary. We provide version 5.0.1

In the httpd panel you can create vhost and choose up to php73

1 Like

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for the not an update.
I will check it out.
I did something to it and stuff it up. Need to reinstall and start form scratch…

Got it running but need some help with the configurations. The instructions aren’t very usefull.

This time I decided to go with the LDAP model.
ont hink i have notices is tha the ldap has only on domain.

Local LDAP Details
STARTTLS: Disabled
Bind password: v9RoX30P_Qe8R6To
Base DN: dc=directory,dc=nh
Bind DN: cn=ldapservice,dc=directory,dc=nh
LDAP server URI: ldap://127.0.0.1
User DN: ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh
Group DN: ou=Groups,dc=directory,dc=nh

How do I change the dc=directory,dc=nh to be dc=domainname,d=com?
This seems to be default setting with no option to change it.
Also how to I setup multiple domain in the local ldap?

Also I have set up 3 test domain in the email section, but I can only use the base domain to login for emails.
Also the Sogo address book is not showing me any of the accounts/or groups?

Any help will be appreciated.

this is not customisable AFAIK for openldap

this is a current limitation of NethServer

let’ say you have three email domains

domainA (default)
domainB
domainC

and three users
A
B
C

at the beginning you have

A@domainA
B@domainA
C@domainA

all users crated are on the domainA, but in the adresses email web page of cockpit you can create an alias that you redirect to an account

lets say

(B@domainB or B@domainC) or (B@domainB and B@domainC)
C@ (on all domain)

etc
At the end the login in SOGo wil be always A, B or C

Eventually you can add A@domainA
I would suggest that you read entirely the documentation, you will find a lot of good practices and good stuffs

https://docs.nethserver.org/en/latest/

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for the replay and update.
Unfortunately the limitation ( using multiple domains) is a major roadblock for us.
We need each user to be able to log in with their one domain.

So it seems that Nethserser is only good for only one domain, hence multiple domains will require multiple Nethservers.

So it looks like I am back to the original idea.

Thanks for you all your help.