Software Center Configuration - Unlocked vs Locked

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.5.1804 (final)
Module: Software Center

I’ve just noticed that Software Center has a new button - Configure. I now see I have options for installing Nethserver upgrades: Unlocked and Locked.

I’m not sure I fully understand the difference between Locked and Unlocked though. The locked appears safer to use than unlocked but what am I missing if I choose locked and at what point will I be able to upgrade if I do choose locked.

I’m liking the option to send me an email when updates are available. :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance for any advice this forum can provide for me on these options.

It’s about software updates, “locked” won’t install distribution upgrades:

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/packages.html#software-updates

Here’s the thread about it:

1 Like

Thank you for this reply @mrmarkuz. So distribution upgrades would be CentOS distribution major version changes? So if I chose Locked I would still receive Nethserver uprades but not CentOS upgrades.

Would it be advisable for an office to use Locked until such time thereafter the distribution upgrades have had some time in the wild to ensure it won’t cause issues with our Nethserver?

I do make a backup of our Nethserver before upgrading but I’m not looking to be bleeding edge CentOS distribution upgrades as soon as they come out. But I do want to enjoy the benefits of Nethserver module upgrades.

Thank you.

Also minor version changes like from 7.4 to 7.5.

Yes, in the past there were problems because of upstream upgrades not working with Nethserver modules in simple words. It’s just to be safe during the time period when centos minor upgrade occurs until the issues are fixed.

4 Likes

Excellent information @mrmarkuz. Very appreciative of you taking the time to explain this to me.

So I could use locked as my primary option for Nethserver updates…then keep an eye on ClearOS distribution updates (minor and major). At some point I would then plan for an ClearOS distribution upgrade by selecting Unlocked and allowing the upgrade and switching back to Locked until the next time I’m ready to test/upgrade to another version. And yet I’ll still receive Nethserver upgrades using the Locked option.

This sounds like a smart way of keeping issues to a minimum during upgrades.

You don’t need to watch out for centos updates, Software center shows you when the Nethserver upgrade is ready.

From the docs:

When also the NethServer project releases a new version, the Software center asks to start the system upgrade.

3 Likes

I’d say also there’s no need to set the locked option because the system activates it automatically

The “locked” origin is automatically selected when a new CentOS distribution release is available. [ib.]

2 Likes

Thanks for the follow-up @davidep. So by default Nethserver is protecting us from upstream CentOS issues until such time we want to upgrade to a new version of CentOS.

So to confirm.

1. I can leave it at unlocked. Upgrades to Nethserver and modules will be ready for install and using the email I will be notified.
  2. When a new CentOS version is ready, my Nethserver will automatically switch to Locked for me. Updates to Nethserver and Modules will still be available.
  3. In order for me to upgrade to a newer version of CentOS, I will need to change the setting from Locked to Unlocked. Then when I upgrade I will receive the newer version of CentOS.

Does this sound like the proper steps I will be taking go forward?

Thanks!

No, as the docs state:

The “unlocked” origin is automatically selected by the system upgrade procedure that can be started only by the system administrator.

You must push the “upgrade” button!

The only reason I see to select today the “locked” policy is protecting against weird EPEL updates in the future. But EPEL guys are good at releasing updates, it does not happen often.

1 Like