So, what are you working on? - 2 Jul 2018

Nethserver is my mail server/webhost currently running in a VM along with 2 dns servers. I have a physical dns server as well and would like a physical mail server, so I am trying ARM nethserver on a rasberry pi to see how it runs. Would be nice to have a physical mail server with a redundant virtual one in case something dies. Using OPNSense on my gateway, just because nethserver runs terrible on it (it was made for bsd, so most linux distros run badly). Next up is a VDI server so I can host more virtual machines but I am waiting on AMD rhyzen to mature a bit more as there seems to be issues with virtualization using AMD cpu’s.

1 Like

… I feel like I owe an explanation of my absense lately … and worse, me not using the subscription model yet. I will give you guys the short version of an otherwise dramatic long and unbelievably stupid story, spanning the last 2 years.

In short, management changed, they are relying on the wrong people for information, and due to ISO and loads of people not understanding shit about IT here, my function got reduced to support for our software. Needless to say I am actively on the lookout for a new job.

I loved the journey with our network, the ease Nethserver made that, and it was more ISO ready then the current management will probably ever understand, but I do not really see us moving forward on the trajectory I started 2,5 years ago.

I am past the mourning stage by now, and I hope that my begging for this subscription model has at least brought some support your way … and hey, perhaps a miracle will still happen, but I am not counting on it any longer.

I will be finishing the promised documents I talked about, regarding server setups, they will double as my documentation for tha case where I have found a new job, but they havent found a competent systemengineer yet, or the partner that will host our servers has questions. That way at least people who appreciate it will also benefit.

No, I am not bitter … just meh … it’s a waste of perfectly good money and time … and the company can not afford it … I think … time will tell. Had to let you guys know at least something on why it is suddenly a bit quiet from my side.

:pensive:

4 Likes

I wish you the best, and success!
Regards

1 Like

Sad to read that. They’re loosing a good man. Keep your head up, I am sure other companies will be happy with you.

1 Like

With next wednesday there will be the third firewall upgrade in 3 weeks.

Round 1: box from 6.9 to 7.4/7.5. A mess. I was not able to correctly address the new network card naming to existing network name (e# changed name to enp#s#) therefore i were stucked outside the box. The installation were quite easy, i kept enough notes to spin the wheel starting from scratch. More time than expected but a success.
Round 2: old IPCop-based box to NethServer 7.5. Nice and nifty toolbox the old one, but far more power, ram and features into the new one. Started from scratch (cleaned also dusts from users, rules, port forwards, cats and dogs stored who knows where…

Round 3 will be another 6.9 to 7.5 upgrade. Still flipping the coin: from scratch or upgrade?

(Trying to evangelize a small team of users into a buinding company into use MatterMost instead of Whatsapp… who knows? :upside_down_face: )

Hi,

I’ve used Nethserver to replace the old SBS installation i’ve used for years at home and its woking brilliantly.

I’m hosting 4 different email domains for various family members and they’re all very happy with how its working.

My wife loves Nextcloud as its great for sharing things from her phone to her computer for her home business.

I’m looking at how I can migrate my home media system to Linux now but sticking point is Sonos software is Windows only at the moment. I’m going to see if I can use Wine to run it.

Thanks again to everyone who’s helped me work out the little problems and getting me up and running!

John

3 Likes

If we can help let us know. Sorry for that, you did something amazing for your company. I hope it will be ok!

Sounds good! Don’t give up! :smile: I’d like to know about your Mattermost implementation…

Nice family :wink: happy to have made you and your family happy.
Are you using it just at home or at work too?

Just at home at the moment, we’re a 150+ user M$ shop right now where I work with a complicated AD/GPO setup. I’ll certainly be thinking about whether Nethserver could fit our environment :smile:

1 Like

I could be a good test for NethServer :smiley: don’t you feel brave? :cowboy_hat_face:

To my surprise, that gave me the least issues. Issues are Calendars-like-we-know-them-with-Exchange and device mailbox/calendar access can be wonky.

GPO’s just work, and can be configured using MMC with the regular snapins.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m a beginner in Linux.

For the last three months I’ve been testing Nethserver (a dozen test installations).
A month ago, I implemented a production Nethserver + WebTop with about 30 users and lots of shared mail folders and files. Some users see 5 mail folders and use several different identities. Webtop is a great application. Meanwhile, I completely translated WebTop into Croatian (revision required). Now I’m looking for a way to integrate Nextcloud + Onlyoffice into the same system …

I congratulate the whole community on hard work and excellent results.

1 Like

Welcome Zoran, hope at this community you feel like at home.

Many thanks, @webtop_team will really appreciate it.

You’re in luck, @mrmarkuz saved us the hard work with an onlyoffice module. We are also testing Collabora CODE.

1 Like

Thanks Marc,

I played yesterday with Nextcloud and Onlyoffice, just this morning I managed to get Onlyoffice working properly (I wrote a message in “Howto Install Onlyoffice Document Server as Nextcloud app”) because I’m a little confused about the problem solution.

I’ll be sure to install and Collabora CODE these days.

Hello @kizotux,

we received your language pull requests last week at Sonicle.
We will be integrating the new language for the next release.
Thanks a lot!

Gabriele

That’s a great news! Thanks for sharing. Great shot as beginner! :blush:
You should hang around as webtop and mailserver savyy

Thanks, I will try to help the community :grinning:

Thanks Gabriele,

as I said … WebTop is a great application and I think it will over time become the ultimate solution for some scenarios.

Zoran

1 Like

Crappy and unused.

Upgrade did the trick! Hardware was changed, but the setup starting from a 6.9 config backup work (almost) like a charm.
I’ll try to take a look on documented upgrade procedure to find if i were wrong or… it can be improved a bit.

What do you mean?

I am the only user, therefore there’s currently no traffic on that. I’m trying to getting in touch with the tool.

Also i did not installed any extension of Mattermost (who told me “nice guy, remember that APIv3 will be terminated soon”).

Without a bit more effective test enviroment (either with other users using) i cannot create user cases and a personal knowledge base to transform people needs into Mattermost-oriented answers.