So, what are you working on? 13 Mar 2019

Hi NethServerians
as every week I 'd like hearing what other people do over the course of their day. What challenges they face and what keeps them up at night.

So what specifically are you working on at the moment? Are you setting up a new NethServer installation? Some great testing? Do you work for a cpmany or do you freelance? Is there a problem that you’re here hoping to solve?

Let’s give a big, warm welcome to our new members from this past weeks: 10 new faces!
If you’re new here, make yourself at home and welcome to NethServer Community :

And @geyser @kenadams96 @jfernandez @thedigu @jrieder @GG_jr @ben @Carlos_Estrada @federico.ballarini what’s in your plate this week?

1 Like

Well, I recently updated my acme-dns and nethserver-acme-dns packages to reflect the release of acme-dns 0.7. With that came an update to the package for my own repo, since it turned out that the check for new updates wasn’t working there. My repo data is now GPG-signed, and the package now checks those signatures–I’d like to document how to do that, but I haven’t been able to come up with a reproducible way to do it (I got it working, but I’m not at all sure I could do it again).

I’m now interested in self-hosting a Bitwarden installation, and it’d be nice to put it on my Neth box, since it’s already open to the Internet. But self-hosting means using Docker, so…

3 Likes

It looks an interesting project to put on Neth

Hi, I’m just a freelance civil engineer, neither a software developer nor a linux expert. But since the days of my first VC-20 I’m dealing with computers and software. Always keeping a sort of rebelism against the mainstream. Nowadays it’s the work in my office and my employees that merits full attention all day (and sometimes all of the night). But it’s important for me to keep the maintanance of our IT-infrastructure to myself. In our professional world it’s a little bit difficult to deal with linux. It’s easy to find alternatives for the office stuff like open or libre office, but our CAD and static calculation software depends on windows. Experiences with windows VMs weren’t succesful in the last years because of missing hardware power and compatibility for CAD. So the only thing left was the file servers running on linux. For me sme-server was quiet good and Nethserver 6 was even better. But must say that opening CAD libraries with many thousands of small files takes notably much more time than on windows server. Normal file transfer of fever larger files is OK. All samba tuning failed and at least I convinced myself that the main problem has to to with linux itself handling folders with many small files in case-sensitive way. Manually changing all files to upper or lower case would have increased velocity but it was senseless because of our CAD software updating the libraries in its own way. With Nethserver 7 there is a noticeable performance increase, still slower as windows server but almost twice to Nethserver 6. IMHO the reason is either changed file system from ext4 to XFS or upgrading smb protocol from 1.5 to 3.1. So this progress on linux side and the regress on windows side with the windows 10 daily update mania made the decision for me, to upgrade our office servers to Nethserver 7, and that’s what I’m doing these days and these nights :slight_smile: after normal work. To get away from Windows completely will be the next steps in the next months or years :-), depending on how hard it will be make working our professional software directly on linux or windows VM.
In any way the next years will be exciting for us.

3 Likes

It does. Installation for self-hosting is simple in a Docker environment, but not so much if you aren’t using Docker (see this thread on the FreeNAS forums for an example). Right now I have it running in an Ubuntu VM with ports forwarded, and it works fine, but it’d be nice to not deal with the port forwarding.

I run a small automation company, and we are using nethserver for some self-hosted applications. It seems like a solid solution for what we are looking for.

1 Like

hi Steve, welcome here.
Which applications are you using? Just curious.

You’re playing with a lot of things. Congrats

We are using mail, reverse proxy, webtop5, Mattermost, and basic stuff that goes with them. Debated using Nextcloud as well, but I am a little nervous having one machine responsible for all that stuff. I have a second VM setup for Nextcloud.

1 Like

good morning, first post to the community. I have resurrected a tiny low powered file server with some disk problems, and am contemplating a new build. Right now I am researching installing a required application on CentOS. I cut my 'nix teeth on FreeBSD 22 years ago, then became a mostly Debian user.
It’s been a long time since I did a RHEL build. This will be fun times (crosses fingers) :slight_smile:
If the centos zoneminder build goes well i will come back and do a fresh install of nethserver on new disks, and install zm there.

3 Likes

Hi Kelly welcome to our amazing community :smiley:

1 Like

Where did you end up with self hosting Bitwarden on NS?

Not; it’s still on the same Ubuntu VM, but I’m now using HAProxy on my pfSense box rather than port forwarding.

1 Like

Ubuntu?!? HERESY!!!