Smtp banner modify in nethserver 7.8.2003

Nethserver 7.8.2003
Hi, I have a version 7.8.2003 of nethserver, I wanted to know how to change the smtp banner. when I ask the smtp test in mxtoolbox, the result is an error in the banner, in fact the server name is the one on the lan side, therefore private.

There’s a howto about changing the smtp banner with a custom template:

2 Likes

Thanks, I noticed though that the template path stops at / etc / e-smith / templates-custom / etc / so I assume I need to create the rest of the folders.

Yes, that’s right.

You can create it easily with the -p option:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/postfix/main.cf/

3 Likes

Thanks Markuz I try as soon as possible.

1 Like

I just tried but it reports the same error, the server always shows up with the internal name of the lan. Can I check something?

SMTP Banner Check Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Sorry, the smtp 220 code is correct, the name of the internal server appears after ehlo. Should I also change the helo parameter in the cockpit?

Yes, if you need a custom helo, just set it.

no way ! despite having changed the parameters, the 250 smtp is always the name of the internal server. this is the postfix configuration (config show postfix: )
BannerHost = myserver.ddns.net
HeloHost = myserver.ddns.net

Maybe postfix not restarted?

Please check your banner with telnet:

telnet localhost 25

If you use a free DynDNS you may need something like myserver.mydomain.ddnsdomain.tld

Please have a look at the config file

/etc/postfix/main.cf

Do you see your changes done by custom template. If not, perhaps you have forgotten to expand the template.

https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7/templates.html#the-expansion-of-templates

I checked main.cf and the helo and banner parameters are correct with the name myserver.ddns.net.
I don’t understand why the 250 smtp is always the internal server name).

The 220 smtp is always myserve.ddns.net
the 250 smtp is always neth7.internal2.lan
!

The 250 comes from the postfix myhostname variable.

postconf | grep myhostname

You may set it with a custom template in postfix main.cf.

3 Likes

The variable refers to the name of the internal server! Could you give me an example of how to change the $ myhostname? If it is changed it affects the system configuration or is only valid for postfix. ?

I never tested this but it’s similar to the banner custom template.
Create /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/postfix/main.cf/40myhostname

#
# 40myhostname -- Customize hostname to use public name 
#
myhostname = myserver.ddns.net

Apply config and restart services:

signal-event nethserver-mail-server-update

2 Likes

Ok, finally the server responds to both 250 smtp and 220 with the correct name! But mxtoolbox always reports an error on the banner! I do not understand …

Could you please post a screenshot of the mxtoolbox result?

Maybe it’s a (reverse) DNS problem:

nslookup <PUBLIC_IP_OF_YOUR_SERVER>

The banner host should be then be set to the name you get as result.

Check the wiki for more information about setting up and securing a mail server.

I think that being a dynamic ip address, the mxtoolbox server checks the ip and its correspondence in the dns name I think … so it signals an error in resolving the inverse name to the ip!

Please just do this:

Set the bannerhost to host-79-42...telecomitalia.it and the mxtoolbox test should be successful.

1 Like