SME to Nethserver migration issues

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908

I am migrating from an old server running SME 8.2 using rsync-migrate. It initially reported these failures:

esmith::event[7124]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S25nethserver-dc-migrate FAILED: 1 [113.688521]
esmith::event[7124]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S40nethserver-mail-migrate-mailboxes FAILED: 1 [28.716576]
S60nethserver-ibays-migrate-commit: Event: ibay-create FAILED
esmith::event[7124]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S60nethserver-ibays-migrate-commit FAILED: 1 [8.557348]
esmith::event[7124]: Event: migration-import FAILED

I realised that I had failed to enable admin password, so did that and tried again. This time the only fails were:

esmith::event[5510]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S25nethserver-dc-migrate FAILED: 1 [106.636277]
esmith::event[5510]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S40nethserver-mail-migrate-mailboxes FAILED: 1 [0.179998]
esmith::event[5510]: Event: migration-import FAILED
esmith::event[455]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/migration-import/S50nethserver-samba-audit-migrate FAILED: 1 [0.006276]

The preceding errors that presumably caused the above failures were of the following kinds:

(a) When migrating user home directories:
esmith::event[32615]: [ERROR] Could not find username in Unix user DB
esmith::event[32615]: [ERROR] Could not migrate home directory
(b) When migrating mailboxes:
esmith::event[32615]: [ERROR] username skipped: not found in passwd database
© Just before samba-audit-migrate FAILED:
esmith::event[32615]: ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 1: Table ‘mysql.servers’ doesn’t exist

I am puzzled by the missing username errors as the usernames are in the passwd and shadow files that were copied across to /var/lib/migration/etc. Any explanations?

What about the “samba-audit-migrate FAILED” error? Any explanation?

I can see however that user home directories, including their Maildir directories, have in fact been created. That seems to indicate that the migration worked for most users. However my concern is that they are now out of sync with the operating server which is still in use. If I run rsync-migrate again, it will rsync the files in /var/lib/migration, but when the “signal-event migration-import” is run, will that synchronise with the already imported files in /var/lib/nethserver/home and /var/lib/nethserver/ibay or not? Should I deleted the contents of those two directories before rerunning rsync-migrate?

Usually the services on the “operating server” will be stopped during migration to not get out of sync, did you restart them?

That could be homedirs/mailboxes without existing user.

The homedirs in /var/lib/migration/home/e-smith/files/users/ are checked against the users in the passwd file.

The files are not synced, just copied/moved from migration dir again so deleted files during offsync will not be deleted on target.

1 Like