Slow server responses - possible hardware issues?

NethServer Version: NS7
Module: NA
I have loaded NS7 with the following… What gets me is that the system has a slow response serving up pages. is there a setting i am missing for increased perfomance?

Why DHCP setup for Green Interface?
Is this setup phisical or virtual? By model of hardware i am assuming it’s phisical.
Why 30gb of swap file?

Could diskspeed be the issue ?

The reason I have the swap is in case i want to start using VM’s. Swap only kicks in after all other physical resources are used. This is a physical server. Here are the results…

The IP address is assigned from the router. I haven’t configured the secondary NIC yet.

[root@www ~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 358 MB in 3.00 seconds = 119.21 MB/sec

You do not want to use swap for vm’s m8. That will royally suck. You need real memory, and I would advice ecc if this a production environment.

I need to wait on average 1 to 2 seconds for a page to be served, and my environment is not as fast as yours. I’m getting about half of what you get.

hdparm -t /dev/vda

/dev/vda:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 190 MB in  3.05 seconds =  62.30 MB/sec

Is your waittime longer then what I experience ? Could network routing or DNS be an issue ? Lossy WiFi ?

@alefattorini I must have flagged this message a million times before I realized I was out of focus and ramming my F in vain … of course this is a bonafide false flagging operation, and I just got word from Putin that he’s proud of me … I mainly feel a bit stupid, sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if you want to use VM, don’t use swap…
and be sure your VMs don’t swap themselves

BTW, on a HP microserver Gen8 I have better results than yours…

which kind of storage are you using? sata? sas? which kind of RAID (using the onboard controller) are you using?

1 Like

It has a single 2TB SAS drive for now and it has a Perc6i. By the way, I have looked at the HP Microserver Gen 8. Worst case scenario this may end up being the ‘configuration’ server and get a better one for production purpose and import the backup.

CPU is not that powerful (more than 10 years old) but if i am not wrong… 32gb of ram? Am i right?
Anyway, set a static IP address for your green interface.

I have also a pers 6/i and get round 160 MB/s with 2x2TB in RAID 1. Do you have write back cache enabled? That should encrease performance. With another Fujitsu primergy with 4 disks in software RAID5 I get round 140 MB/s. With both I have no issue about performace, exept the nextcloud page. This takes a little longer to load.

What do you mean with serving up pages? Pages hostet on your NS or pages from internet?
If second, try to en-/disabled squid cache. I had the experince with a very large cache, that proxy performance was slower. What else is enabled? Squidgard? DPI? ClamAV? Every filter needs it’s time.

I ended up installing and uninstall squid ( i forget the exact name ) and then setting a virtual host and deleting it. Now i am getting the results i was looking for.

@pike the server is a DELL 1950 GEN III with 64 GB ram and two quad core cpu @ 2.33 and a large swap.

Without virtualization running (which needs quite a lot of CPU power) this installation should be running quite smoothly…