Short confirmation on backup functionality, pls

Hi,

just a short question on the functionality of internal backup:

On of my backups is local to an attached USB Disk. I remember the on NS 6, the USB was not mounted permanently. I was only mounted within the pre-backup-script just before the backup started. It was unmounted in the post-backup-script. I also remembered the steps were listed within the backup log. Today I took a look at the backup log, but did not find a corresponding entry. I really like this feature - it this recommended e.g. by Heise c’t as a protection against randsomware.

Is this feature / behavior still the same? Maybe I need to look in a different log-file?

Thanks and best regards
Thorsten

NethServer Version: 7.9
Module: your_module

@thorsten

Hi Thorsten

I can confirm that generally, NethServer mounts the Backup Target before backup, and unmounts it after the backup. But I’m only using duplicity… Rsync / Restic are different animals…

But testing / verifying should be easy, a simple “df” before, during and after a backup will confirm this…

My 2 cents
Andy

df during backup @ 02:05 is personally a little difficult, but yes, that’s pretty simple. :slight_smile:

I simply change the time of the backup (once), and later change it back (eg next day)… :slight_smile:

All my Backups must be done before midnight, afterwards are Proxmox backups and NAS Backups…

:slight_smile:

Yes, USB/CIFS/NFS/WebDAV storage are unmounted from the server.
For USB you can check the storage section on cockpit to see what is mounted.
Maybe the backup logs were simplified hiding some successful sub-events and showing them only when they fail (either in backup logs or /var/log/messages), or the hiding is due to a wrapper script.